Breaking

Photo courtesy of University of Ottawa

Thunder Bay police made a trip to Ottawa to investigate the alleged gang sexual assault by several members of the University of Ottawa men’s hockey team. However, police say some members of the team have refused to cooperate with police.

“A majority of the players with the University of Ottawa hockey program co-operated with investigators. Unfortunately, a number of players chose not to speak to police,” Thunder Bay police said in an official statement March 20.

The alleged incident involving some of the Gee-Gees players and a female university student took place in Thunder Bay the weekend of Feb. 1. The team was in Thunder Bay for an away game on the weekend of the incident.

No further details have been made public as to the number of players involved in the incident, how many have cooperated with police, or how many have not.

Suspension of the team was announced March 3. Coach Réal Paiement has also been suspended with pay.

“These are serious allegations,” Patrick Charette, director of corporate communications, said at a press meeting March 3. “You will also appreciate that there are all kinds of legal rights, including privacy of all innocent parties involved.”

No arrests or charges have been made. Until the review is complete, it is unknown whether the team will participate in the 2014–15 season. In the interim, members are suspended from all team-related activities, but are still able to attend classes.

The investigation is ongoing.