(L-R): Fern Marwood as Aphrodite and Daniel Braun as Adonis in Adonis and the Gods at War. Photo by Iris MacKay.
Fern Marwood as Aphrodite and Daniel Braun as Adonis in Adonis and the Gods at War. Photo: Iris MacKay.

the audience could feel the weight of the characters emotions as if they were their own

Taking place annually in the heart of Canada’s capital, this year between June 13 and 23, the Ottawa Fringe Festival is a beacon for innovative and bold performances, where the boundaries of traditional theatre are continually redefined. 

Arranged by Carleton University’s department of English language and literature, this year’s festival lineup boasted an exhibition of compelling productions, but none generated as much anticipation as Adonis and the Gods at War

A masterful retelling by Iris MacKay, the performance highlights the life of Adonis, a figure of striking beauty and profound inner turmoil. 

In Greek mythology, Adonis is renowned for his extraordinary attractiveness, which captivates mortals and gods alike. His relationship with Aphrodite, the goddess of love, is central to his story, marked by passion and complexity. 

Raised among the gods, Adonis experiences the privileges and constraints of divine existence. However, as he matures, he begins to yearn for a life beyond the confines of Olympus, where his fate isn’t dictated by the capricious desires of the deities.

This production delves deeply into Adonis’s psyche, exploring his fear and confusion as he grapples with the idea of forging his own path. 

The actors’ performances were nothing short of mesmerizing, with every emotion radiating off the stage and pulling the audience into the depths of Adonis’s story.

Daniel Braun’s portrayal of Adonis was particularly striking, with Braun embodying his internal conflict and vulnerability with remarkable authenticity. In addition, The chemistry between Braun — playing Adonis — and Fern Marwood — playing Aphrodite — was palpable. 

Their interactions were charged with a raw energy that brought their complicated relationship to life, making every glance, touch, and word exchanged between them feel profoundly significant. 

Marwood conveyed a powerful blend of love and possessiveness, adding layers of complexity to her character and her connection with Adonis. 

Each moment of doubt, hope, and defiance was rendered with such detail, that the audience could feel the weight of the characters emotions as if they were their own. 

Though you may have missed it, know the Ottawa Fringe Festival will be back next year showcasing hit performances that will entertain and warm the hearts of theatre lovers everywhere.