Arts & Culture editor Daniel Jones takes students on a tour through some fall photo spots on campus. Image: Kai Holub/Fulcrum.

Four stops at U of O to help students learn campus

Getting around campus can be hectic, especially at the beginning of the year. But, those who are coming onto campus this fall will be delighted to know that U of O offers some lovely sights to exercise your creative muscles and hopefully have you stop to smell the roses. 

hagen hall
Photo: Daniel Jones/Fulcrum.

Hagen and Tabaret

Tabaret’s wide lawn allows for some fun action shots of people playing games during the autumn and spring months. If that’s not your style, you can also find a few dozen snowmen in the winter to take some portraits of. The benches along the perimeter also allow for a nice spot to rest while writing.

Hagen Hall’s sharp architecture allows for some nice practice whether you’re photographing or drawing, especially in the fall when the changing leaves start to compliment the brickwork exterior. 

morriset stairs
Photo: Daniel Jones/Fulcrum.

Morrisset Stairs

Located just outside Morisset Library, these stairs add some elevation to your framing. Play around with the way your subject can move up and down the levels. If you’ve had enough of that, you can always go up the stairs and into the courtyard for flat ground and greenery to bring some nature into your shots too.

university square
Photo: Daniel Jones/Fulcrum.

University Square

The square is always nice for getting busy shots of people running to class or some leisurely skateboarding in the evenings. It’s also a good spot to try experimenting with some longer exposure on your photos, getting the crowd to blur a little more while having your subject contrast with the busy crowds. Remember to be careful not to block anyone’s way while shooting and to be mindful of people not wanting to be photographed!

site stairs
Photo: Daniel Jones/Fulcrum.

SITE

With its in-your-face colour palette and winding staircase, SITE is great for trying some fashion shots or portraiture! SITE also offers some opportunities to try doing some grad photos and to mix up profile shots, rather than the usual plant wall in the Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS) building. The connecting hallway between the building and Colonel By also makes for lovely evening shots when the art seems to glow a little, playing with the lower light here may make for a special shot or two.

Go ahead and try these locations out for yourself, if you’re looking for more locations and advice, connecting with U of O’s many arts clubs like the UO Photo Club can be helpful while you learn the trade. Happy photographing! 

• Daniel Jones is a third-year student studying History and English at the University of Ottawa. Starting as a contributor in his second year, he is excited to get to work as the editor for the Arts & Culture section. Between readings for class and his own personal backlog, Daniel is often scratching his chin and wondering if the curtains were simply just blue.