THE ARKELLS ARE SET to headline this year’s Fedstock, one of the largest and loudest student-organized concerts each year.

The event will take place Sept. 1 at Confederation Park and is open to all University of Ottawa students for $15 and included in the cost of all 101 Week kits.

Patrick Marquis, vp social of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO), said in previous years, attendance at Fedstock dropped due to its slot at the end of the week. Traditionally, the 101 Week cabin party takes place at the beginning of the week, but this year the two events have switched slots.

“Attendance used to dwindle throughout the week, and we want to start the week off with a great concert,” said Marquis.
Musical diversity was important in the planning of Fedstock this year. The lineup includes Tommy Kruise, Dzeko and Torres, and Radio Radio, with the Arkells closing the night.

“I went with the Arkells because they’re a band that a lot of people will enjoy even if they haven’t heard of them,” said Marquis.

House of Paint. a group of local graffiti artists credited with creating the first legal graffiti wall in Ottawa, will be painting over a long stretch of concrete during Fedstock.

Pizza will be served and there will be a Shinerama barbecue with all proceeds going to Shinerama, a Canada–wide post–secondary school fundraiser for cystic fibrosis research.

PartiParty!, the SFUO’s social volunteer group, will be organizing small games and activities at the edge of the grounds to bring students together during the event.

Other events that will take place during 101 week include Take Back the Night, a march against rape and sexual violence, Sept. 2 at 5 p.m. on Morisset Terrace. Eid Dinner, a celebration of the end of Ramadan, can be enjoyed Sept. 4 at 6 p.m. on Tabaret lawn. There will be a farmer’s market on level zero of the Jock–Turcot University Centre on Sept. 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., a pow-wow to celebrate indigenous nationhood through cultural demonstrations from both the local Métis nation and Inuit communities on Sept. 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and closing ceremonies will be held on Sept. 7 at 7 p.m., featuring performances by Hey Ocean! and Daniel Wesley.