Photo: Angelique Pinto/The Fulcrum.

Skiing, skating, and spas, oh my!

Winter 2023 was the first year in the history of Canada’s capital in which the Rideau Canal did not freeze, causing us to miss that yearly tradition of skating through Ottawa’s Famous waterway. Luckily, after a year off, conditions were declared “safe to skate” on Sunday, Jan 21 for a 2 km stretch of the canal “between the Pretoria Bridge and the Bank Street access points”.

In addition to the canal, here are more ways to make the most of your winter in Ottawa!

Starting off, not too different from the canal, did you know there are numerous skating trails in and around Ottawa? There is RiverOak Skating trail, which is composed of 3 km for skating, hiking, and snowshoeing. Included are snacks, beverages, and lunch opportunities. Additionally, and thankfully for pet lovers, dogs are also welcome on this adventure!

Another massively popular thing to do is snow sports, such as skiing and snowboarding. Ottawa itself does not have mountains, however, if you are in the mood for a small road trip, Sommet Olympia is two hours away. A closer one is Calabogie Peaks Resort, being an hour and 15 minutes away and it offers a resort, rentals, and lessons. Perfect for a weekend getaway or even just an afternoon. Or, the famous Camp Fortune, which has three peaks of skiable terrain and isn’t too far from the Ottawa-Gatineau region.

If you prefer to stay in and enjoy some friendly competition, I invite you to go try the different escape rooms that are around the city.

There are two spots that I really like and could be perfect for a date, friendly afternoon, or an impulsive weekend outing. Jigsaw Escape Rooms in the Byward Market offers seven different rooms with varying difficulty and interesting backstories that will pull you in and make you feel the race against time. Or there’s Escape Manor on 292 Elgin St, which offers over seven different rooms with availability for food, cocktails, and traditional games such as darts.

From February 2 —19, one of the big winter activities is open in Ottawa and Gatineau and it is Winterlude 2024. There are activities for everyone, indoors and outdoors. There is tubing, ice sculptures, skating, beaver tales, maple taffy, skiing and snowboarding lessons, snowmen competitions, snow caves, a huge maze, zip-lining, and many more activities that will not disappoint.

Finally, one of my favourite spots to relax and enjoy a calm atmosphere is Nordic Spa-Nature. Yes, this place is open all year. However, winter is one of my favourite seasons to visit the spa because the contrast of the warm sauna installations with the winter weather is marvellous. It also looks beautiful with falling snow around, as you enjoy a hot dip in one of their many heated pools and take in the marvellous Gatineau nature that surrounds you.