One love promo
Image: One Love/Provided.

Bob Marley’s impact on music cannot be overstated

In a world often clashing with strife and division, the melodic strains of Bob Marley’s music resonate with unity and peace. On Feb. 14th, I found myself drawn into the captivating world of his life story through the new biopic Bob Marley: One Love. As someone who has long admired Marley for his unwavering commitment to peace and humanity, the film served as a moving reminder of his enduring influence on music, expression, and inner peace.

Bob Marley’s impact on music cannot be overstated. His pioneering role in popularizing reggae music catapulted the genre onto the international stage, forever altering the musical landscape. Having his children, Ziggy and Cedella, and his wife Rita Marley, as the film’s producers, Marley’s family was able to display the impact his music made across from the reggae genre. His music served as a rallying cry for oppressed peoples everywhere. Conveying messages of hope and solidarity, subjecting the movie to Bob’s life, past, and connection to spirit, shared his family and fans’ belief in the power of music as a force for proper change. 

Kingsley Ben-Adir, who played Marley, did an amazing job of not duplicating the person that was Bob Marley but sharing the light that beamed through his spiritual and musical connections. 

Quoted from his interview on the Zach Sang show about his part in portraying Bob, “I never felt like I found him. I felt that I was on an investigation to try and interpret every scene as best as I possibly could so that it represented some, even if it’s just a tad, of his spirit. You can not copy Bob. You can not copy him”. From the film, I truly found his dedication and interpretation of Bob Marley to be untouchable compared to the many adaptations made in the past. Though he couldn’t duplicate his image, the feeling Bob gave to those around the world could be felt in Kingsley’s work and his dedication to getting this story right.

Growing up with a Caribbean background, Bob Marley’s music was always a favourite within my household. From the moment I can remember, Bob Marley’s music was woven into the fabric of my upbringing. Whether it was the uplifting rhythms of “Jamming” playing in the background during family gatherings or the soul-stirring lyrics of “Get Up, Stand Up” echoing throughout the house, Marley’s songs were a constant companion, offering solace and inspiration in equal measure. 

Despite us being from different parts of the Caribbean, his message of harmony never failed to spread within his music. Setting the scene of this movie around the amazing performance of his “One Love” peace concert in 1978, songs like “One Love” and “Redemption Song“, served as a keen reminder of the importance that comes with reconnecting with our core values.

As I reflect on my experience of watching the biopic on Bob Marley, I am filled with a renewed sense of gratitude for the indelible mark he has left on the world. His music continues to serve as a source of inspiration and comfort for millions. Despite the fun tunes, his messages continue to remind us of the enduring power of harmony and compassion in the face of turmoil. In a world desperately in need of healing, Bob Marley’s timeless message of love and unity remains as vital as ever!

Though his physical being is missed in more avenues than one, his music and spirit remind us of the world we can become if we stay united within humanity. So get up, buy your tickets, and enjoy his story in a theatre near you!