Photo: The Color Purple/Provided.

Blitz Bazawule’s 2023 adaptation is a beautiful re-telling of the influential novel

On Dec. 25th, 2023, Warner Brothers Studios released the musical theatre adaptation of the famous film The Color Purple, and I cannot stop talking about it. Directed by Ghanaian filmmaker Blitz Bazawule, the 2023 version brings the artistic spark of music and dance to the compelling story of family, love, and faith. 

The warm southern vibe of the Georgia-based story, originally a novel by Alice Walker, was brought to life through its stunning visuals and elevating new songs. Featuring the soulful compositions of Quincy Jones, The Color Purple‘s soundtrack includes new works like ‘Keep it Movin’ by Halle Bailey, and the help of other artists like Ciara, Missy Elliot, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, and Mary J Blige.  

With the beauty of a story comes the actors who portrayed it, and the casting of this film is nothing less than stellar. Being a HUGE musical theatre and film fan myself, the musical background of these actors illuminated the theatre screens. Popular Hollywood names like Taraji P. Henson, Fantasia, Colman Domingo, and Halle Bailey highlight the many new additions each actor brought to this heart-melting film. 

The chemistry among the cast members is discernible, creating a synergy that enhances the beauty of each character and their relationships. Being so in love with the cast and their outstanding performances, here are my two favourite actresses from the film and a little background on their outstanding careers.

Fantasia Barrino

First introduced through her season three win on American Idol, Fantasia Barrino is a powerhouse to be reckoned with. Known for her soulful voice and stage presence, Fantasia was the perfect choice for the role of Celie in The Color Purple. Previously played by actress and comedian Whoopie Goldberg, the story of Celie tailors the many levels of strength and vulnerability shaken by black women of that time. 

With her gospel singing background and soulful tone, Fantasia’s emotionally charged performance applied a gentle, yet powerful effect to the layered character. Her ability to transform such a tragic and deepening story into a story of love and strength not only moved me, but drove me to a higher level of appreciation for the culture and struggle of black women. I am more than attached but captivated by her talent and resilience throughout this film.

Taraji P. Henson

Starring in the outstanding productions of Baby Boy, Hidden Figures, and the five-year television series Empire, Taraji P Henson tops the list as one of my absolute favourite actresses of all time. 

Cast as Shug Avery in the film The Color Purple, Henson uses her spunk and fierce attitude to bring the flashy character —previously played by Margaret Avery — to life. Her performance is amazing, and without a doubt my favourite from the film. In my opinion, she will never fail to amaze with her devotion to her characters and impact on her fans.

The musical adaptation of The Color Purple is a movie you should not miss. For the musical theatre fans reading this, you will love the dancing, singing, and musical numbers that come with this film. Hit your nearest theatre and catch it on the big screen while you can!!