Alum works both behind and in front of the lens in Medic

Photo: Courtesy of Triumph Street Photography

If you’ve seen popular TV shows such as Arrow, Supernatural, and Once Upon a Time, chances are you’ve caught a glimpse of University of Ottawa alumnus Adam Lolacher.

Lolacher was born and raised in Ottawa, and after graduating with a BA in theatre studies in 2002, he decided to pursue a career in television and film.

Although acting has always been his main passion, Lolacher has also dabbled in other parts of film production. He’s currently working on the post-production of Medic, a short film that he wrote, produced, and starred in.

“I was at a point where I wanted to create my own work,” said Lolacher. “I’m just trying to tell stories that matter, shake things up a little bit, make people connect, make people open up and make people feel something.”

Medic tells a story that’s close to home for Lolacher. It recounts an army veteran’s struggle with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and the way that those around him respond to his mental illness.

Lolacher’s brother is in the Canadian Armed Forces, and arrived home from Afghanistan alongside many of his friends in 2010. Having seen first-hand the difficulties Canadian soldiers face when they return home from war, Lolacher felt that there weren’t enough services available to them.

“That’s why I wrote Medic—to get the message out there, to get people thinking about it,” he explained. “I don’t think people really have an idea of what’s going on around them, and I think our government and our military could benefit from seeing the film as well.”

At the moment, Adam is applying to have Medic featured at film festivals around the world. He also hopes to do an independent screening in Ottawa next year.

Although acting was something he enjoyed before attending university, it was the professors at the U of O that pushed him and inspired him to pursue a career in it.

“They kind of instilled this passion in me,” Lolacher said. “Looking back on it, they really kind of kicked my ass.”

After graduation, Lolacher relocated to British Columbia. The move helped him pursue acting by bringing him closer to the action. Many shows, such as Supernatural and Arrow, are filmed in Vancouver, also known as Hollywood North, only a few hours away from his current home in Victoria.

Lolacher’s acting has already started to attract attention. In 2013 he won a Leo Award in the category “Best Actor in a Short Drama” for his work in the short film Plating.

Although acting is a tough career path, Lolacher believes that in order to be successful you have to have fun and love what you do. For those who want to pursue a career in acting, Lolacher has a piece of advice.

“You’ve got to pound the pavement, really just dig into it, especially when you’re starting out. You can’t really say no to anything, you’ve got to immerse yourself in it.”

Medic is scheduled to be completed in November 2015 and will eventually be released on YouTube. To learn more about it, visit the Facebook page: Medic—A Short Film.