Taylor Swift released 1989 (Taylor’s Version) and 1989 (Taylor’s Version) [Deluxe] on October 27, 2023.

The release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) has been long awaited by Swifties—now it’s time to go crazy for some new tunes.

On October 27, 2023, Taylor Swift released 1989 (Taylor’s Version) and 1989 (Taylor’s Version) [Deluxe]. Swift has already released her re-recorded versions of her other albums; Speak Now and Red. The release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) has been long awaited by fans—if there’s one thing that Swifties will do, is go crazy for some new tunes. Now, what are the differences in the new album compared to the original? 

When Swift publishes music under the label Taylor’s Version, it means that she owns the master rights to her music. Swift’s old record label, Big Machine Records, had sold their company to entrepreneur Scooter Braun, for which he then held the master rights to her music. After failing to negotiate, Swift decided to re-record all her music that came before her 2019 album Lover with Republic Records. 

When talking about the album with our friends, a few have claimed that they have noticed her re-recorded songs are “less pop-sounding”. Over time, it’s clear that Swift’s voice has matured. We hear this specifically on Swift’s first track, “Welcome to New York.”

Songs From the Vault

Similar to her other re-records, Swift has released new tracks on the album that were written at the time of the original album, but never officially made it on the record. On the album itself, these songs are labeled “From The Vault”. They include: “Say Don’t Go”, “Now That We Don’t Talk”, “Suburban Legends”, “Is It Over Now? and “”Slut!””. 

With its lyrical genius at work and personable approach, our favorite would have to be “Now That We Don’t Talk”. It’s scary to think that, at first, it wasn’t considered important enough for the world to witness.

What We Didn’t Like

There isn’t much of a difference between the original and Swift’s version; it’s undoubtedly hard to not be somewhat disappointed, regarding how much she had us hoping for more.

Her vocals are surely stronger, and clearer, with an incredible burning passion. There was a certain dysphoria when making a comparison to her younger vocals. It’ll never be the same as it used to be, though there’s a beauty in both.

Since listening to 1989 (Taylor’s Version), we have been playing the vault tracks as often as possible. However, Swifties have suspicions about when Swift will release the re-recorded Reputation (Taylor’s Version). We can appreciate 1989 (Taylor’s Version), but Reputation (Taylor’s Version) could be an album that tops all. Are we ready to find out?