Breaking

Cameron “Tiger” Lyons is facing three counts of child luring and two counts of human trafficking of a minor. Photo: via Cameron Lyons’ Facebook.

Gee-Gees’ equipment manager allegedly posed as talent agent to lure underage girls

A University of Ottawa staff volunteer in his 18th season with the Gee-Gees has been suspended from his position after his arrest due to charges of human trafficking and child luring.

Cameron Lyons, who volunteered with the Gee-Gees as their equipment manager, allegedly posed as a talent agent on Facebook, contacting two 14-year-old girls and one 16-year-old. He is charged on three counts of child luring and two counts of human trafficking of a minor.

The investigation began in 2015 when one of the victims came forward to the authorities. According to Ottawa police, the online conversations began with Lyons offering modelling services to the girls and then asking for sexual favours in exchange for money.

Acting manager of media relations at the U of O, Isabelle Mailloux-Pulkinghorn, told the Ottawa Citizen that “the university has suspended (Lyons) pending the outcome of criminal charges.” Mailloux-Pulkinghorn confirmed that he was not employed by the university.

According to Lyons’ biography on the Gee-Gees website, which has since been taken down, he was in his 18th season with U of O athletics, having first joined the Gee-Gees in 1998 as a wide receiver. Lyon also received the first Sports Services Volunteer Appreciation Award in 2014.

As mentioned in the Citizen, Lyons is accused of contacting underage girls under a variety of fake Facebook aliases, such as Joe Howorth, Steve DeBone, and VIP Entertainment.

A Facebook post in January 2013 under the alias of Joe Howorth reads, “Looking for girls available on Feb. 3rd for a wide scale Super Bowl promotion. Must be comfortable watching the game in a bikini and a football shirt. Pay is $125 for the event cash.”

Another post from August 2013 reads, “Two girls potentially needed tonight to dance at a bachelor party. 9:30 p.m. at a private residence in downtown Ottawa. Security is provided.” These posts are consistent with police reports.

Lyons is currently in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Authorities believe that other girls might have been contacted by Lyons, and are asking anyone who has been in contact with any of the aliases to come forward.

If you have any  further details about this case, please contact the Ottawa Police Service’s human trafficking unit at (613) 236-1222 ext. 5005.