Illustrations: Kim Wiens

Happy holidays, Fulcrum readers! I’m sure that many of you would agree that, without a doubt, one of the best parts of the holidays is the food. From savoury pies, mashed potatoes, and gravy, to colourful cookies and crumbling cakes crafted with love, there’s nothing better than indulging in some festive treats.

Let’s be honest—Christmas calories don’t count, right?

Christmas style rocky road

Feast your eyes on a unique and scrumptious holiday goodie that will surely be a hit at any party. Note: The recipe has been slightly modified from its traditional version so that the ingredients are more accessible.

Ingredients

-8 oz. bittersweet chocolate

-6 oz. milk chocolate

-6 oz. of soft butter

-1/4 cup of golden syrup or light corn syrup

-7 oz. amaretti cookies or tea biscuits

-1 cup of shelled Brazil nuts or almonds (you can also omit this ingredient entirely for a nut-free version)

-2/3 cup of red candied cherries

-2 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows (halal, kosher, or vegan marshmallows can also be used instead)

-1 tablespoon icing sugar

-edible glitter (optional)

Directions

1. Chop the bittersweet and milk chocolate into small pieces and melt in a pan with the butter and syrup over low heat.

2. Put the biscuits in a freezer bag and smash them with a rolling pin until you have a mix of larger pieces and smaller crumbs.

3. Repeat step two, this time with the Brazil nuts or almonds.

4. Take the pan off the heat, and add the crushed biscuits and nuts, candied cherries, and marshmallows. Gently fold the melted chocolate over the other ingredients until everything is mixed together.

5. Pour the mixture into a lined tray and smooth out the top until it is somewhat even.

6. Refrigerate for about 1.5–2 hours, and then remove the rocky road block from the tray.

7. Lightly dust the icing sugar and glitter over the rocky road block to give it a festive look.

8. Finally, cut the block into squares (approximately 24), serve, and enjoy!

Candy cane cocktail

But of course, no holiday get together is complete without an equally festive drink to enjoy with your sweet treat. Here is a recipe for a candy cane cocktail, because after all, what is Christmas without colourful peppermint sticks?

Ingredients

-2 candy canes (one for crushed ingredients and one for garnish)

-2 oz. strawberry vodka

-4 dashes of white crème de menthe

-2 1/2 oz. cranberry juice

-Ice cubes

Directions

1. Place one of your candy canes in a freezer bag, and smash it into little bits using a mallet or rolling pin (you can also use a mortar and pestle).

2. Place crushed candy canes on a small plate or saucer. Wet the outside rim of a chilled martini glass with water. Holding the glass by the stem, rotate the rim to coat with candy.

2. In a cocktail shaker, combine strawberry vodka, crème de menthe, cranberry juice, and ice. Shake until well-combined and strain into prepared glass. Serve immediately.

With these recipes in hand, you should be set for your next festive shindig. Best wishes to you all this holiday season!