Hostel_ONLINE

Hostel living conditions

Many young people consider living out of a backpack in foreign countries a dream, even a rite of passage. Country to country, hostel to hostel, new friends to newer friends. It’s an experience that makes places more than just destinations and nights more than just time to sleep. Hostels forfeit the luxury of a hotel for a social experience amongst likeminded people from around the world.

But not every hostel is the same and they have some common drawbacks, so it’s important to find the right place to stay in order to maximize your experience.

Don’t go for the cheapest

After a couple of terrible run-ins with bed bugs and sketchy neighbourhoods throughout my own travels, I decided cheaping out wasn’t worth the few euros I was saving. It worked out infinitely better: Hostels in prime locations saved me time finding them while carrying a heavy pack, and returning after a day of sightseeing or a night out was much easier.

Hang out in the lounge

Making friends in hostel lounges is as easy as it was on the first day of kindergarten. You can be proactive and talk to somebody, or just sit around long enough and somebody will approach you. The lounge is the perfect place to get information, find travel partners, and scope out dinner companions.

Bring rubber doorstoppers 

Yes, rubber doorstoppers. Setting one of these bad boys inside your room by your closed door means nobody can come in without an invitation. Make sure, of course, your roommates are already in the room.

Ask your receptionist about everything

You’re paying for service, so you might as well use it. Ask reception for everything you think you’ll need, whether it’s maps, happy hour times, laundry services, or earplugs. Oftentimes, you can also keep your important documents in their safe. And if you ever lose your phone charger, ask the receptionist. Many hostels have a box of cords and chargers left behind by other guests that are all yours if you just ask.

Don’t go for the cheapest

Hang out in the lounge

Bring rubber doorstoppers 

Ask your receptionist about everything