Reading Time: < 1 minute

Man behind controversial Ottawa frosh event arrested in ByWard Market

Photo by Marta Kierkus

Jarett Lopez, a 21-year-old Ottawa man, was charged with two counts of trafficking ecstasy, one count of possession of marijuana, and one count of possession of proceeds of crime (under $5,000).

Lopez was arrested in the early morning hours of Aug. 29 as a result of a month-long undercover investigation, said a representative of the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) in an official statement. The arrest was made at a bar on the 100 block of Clarence Street in ByWard Market.

Lopez was released on the condition that he appear in court Sept. 24.

The OPS issued a statement to the public, “particularly the youth and student population,” reminding them of the “life threatening and potentially fatal consequences” of illicit drugs.

On his Facebook profile, Lopez wrote that he does marketing and photography for Tequila Jacks. He is also the executive director of Aficionado Studios.

Aficionado Studios sparked controversy this summer for the racy promotional video for its event, Ottawa Frosh 2014.

Read More: New Frosh Week decried by student leaders

The video was criticized for its hyper-sexualized portrayal of young women as well as its depiction of excessive drinking and drug use. At the time, Lopez said real drugs were not used for the video.

The University of Ottawa, along with other post-secondary institutions in Ottawa, warned incoming students to not partake in the event.