Justin rude (left) Joe Biden (right)
This was POTUS first visit to Canada since becoming President in 2020. Image: POTUS/ Twitter

A recap on President Biden’s two-day visit to Ottawa

On March 23 and 24, President of the United States (POTUS), Joe Biden, visited Ottawa for the first time since becoming president. The visit from POTUS was multifaceted as mentioned on Prime Minister (PM) Justin Trudeau’s news release. Biden and Trudeau met:

“… to continue working closely together to strengthen trade ties, create good jobs, grow the middle class, and drive economic growth that benefits everyone on both sides of the border. They will also continue to increase collaboration on defence and security, climate action, and immigration.”

Biden’s visit began on March 23, with a meeting with the Governor General, Mary Simon, who greeted him as he landed in Ottawa. Governor General made a social media post on Biden’s arrival saying, “as partners and allies in the face of a world filled with challenges, complexities and pressing global concerns. What endures is a relationship of trust, support and resilience.”

Following their meeting, Biden arrived at Rideau Cottage where PM Trudeau welcomed him. During their trip, First Lady Dr. Jill Biden and Sophie Trudeau also enjoyed programs together, including a visit to the National Gallery of Canada.

According to CBC, POTUS and PM Trudeau discussed matters such as “ongoing war in Ukraine, the deteriorating situation in Haiti, the state of Canada’s military at a time of rising global threats, the Safe Third Country Agreement and the influx of refugees at Quebec’s Roxham Road crossing.”

POTUS addressed Parliament on March 24, thanking all its members for welcoming him and his wife to Canada. “This is a custom that speaks to the closeness of our relationship. Americans and Canadians are two people, two countries, in my view, sharing one heart,” said Biden.