Reading Time: < 1 minute

Board of Governors votes to increase tuition fees for next year

Photo by Julia Riddle

After being shut out of the Board of Governors (BOG) budget meeting on May 26, executives from the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) and the Graduate Students’ Association (GSAÉD) joined with other students to protest the proposed tuition increases and listen to the BOG meeting via livestream.

Usually held in Tabaret Hall, the meeting was changed to a teleconference, available to the public via YouTube.

Student representatives on the BOG proposed an amendment to freeze tuition, but were outvoted. The representatives also requested that future budget meetings be open to the public, but concerns were raised that in the past, budget meetings have been shut down by student protesters.

The budget passed with an increase of three per cent for domestic undergraduate students and five per cent for domestic graduate students.

Students and executive members of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa and the Graduate Students’ Association gathered in front of Tabaret Hall on May 26 to protest tuition fee increases. The planned Board of Governors meeting took place via teleconference.

http://storify.com/The_Fulcrum/students-protest-tuition-fees-meetings-takes-place