Dr. Antoine Hakim a 2013 CMHF inductee

Jesse Mellott | Fulcrum Staff

UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA medical school professor Dr. Antoine Hakim was named an inductee into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame (CMHF) on Oct. 18, 2012. Hakim was one of six doctors inducted, and will now be considered a laureate, along with his fellow inductees, meaning he has made significant contributions in the realm of medical discovery and innovation. In addition, all inductees were recognized as officers of the Order of Canada.
The CMHF was created in 1994, and it currently has 95 laureates who have been recognized for their outstanding achievements in the medical profession. CMHF Executive Director Janet Tufts said that nominations can come from any Canadian across the country.
“Any two Canadian citizens can pose a nomination,” said Tufts. “The criteria would be an individual who has either made a single meritorious discovery, one major discovery that has impacted people worldwide, or a lifetime of significant accomplishments that have changed the health-care system locally, regionally, nationally, [or] globally.”
Tufts said the award came from a committee of people from accross Canada, and the world.
“[The nomination committee] is made of eight prominent medical professionals,” said Tufts. “Seven of them from across Canada, and one international representative, they review all the nominations, and typically they are reviewing 70 candidates for each induction, and they will select up to six individuals [each year].”
Hakim is a professor of neurology  at the U of O, director of the U of O’s Brain and Mind Research Institute (BMRI), and director of the neuroscience program at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (OHRI).
Tufts said Hakim is among the world’s greatest neurologists, and that the selection committee is always looking for doctors who have worldwide acclaim.
“His research has seen measurable results,” said Tufts. “He established the Canadian Stroke Network [CSN], which is a national cadre of researchers and clinicians representing universities, government, and non-profit organizations, whose goal is to alleviate stroke. That group championed the Canadian Stroke Strategy in 2005. Within five years, Ontario alone saw stroke patient admissions decrease by 11 per cent, and referrals to stroke-prevention clients increase by 34 per cent.”
Hakim remains humble despite his many achievements.
“Any accomplishments that were in fact obtained through the Canadian Stroke Network were because I was surrounded by a small army of very committed and very capable people,” he said. “Maybe a bit of leadership on my part, but honestly it’s more about being given the resources to do the work with and having people who are equally committed and hard-working towards the same goal.”
Hakim said he was excited by the recognition that he received by the CMHF, if only because it shines a light on medical breakthroughs that are occurring in the city of Ottawa at places like the BMRI, OHRI and CSN. The induction ceremony will take place in Halifax on May 2, 2013.