Breaking

uOttawa student detained by police at Parliament Hill.
Photo: Ashley Fraser/Postmedia.

PARLIAMENTARY PROTECTIVE SERVICE ISSUED HADAR A TRESPASS NOTICE FOR ONE YEAR

University of Ottawa student Raz Hadar was taken into custody on Sunday afternoon at the Palestine Unified Rally & March on Parliament Hill. 

The man was allegedly chanting ‘save Palestine from Hamas,’ as well as slurs and obscenities at protestors before being taken away by officers.

Hadar, a second-year conflict studies and human rights student, confirmed his identity as the individual who was detained through his social media the day after.

“This is all too similar to the situation I face with my university’s students’ union unacademic and antisemitic statement. I am not removing my Star of David, which the Nazis used to identify the Jews during the Holocaust, until they have removed their antisemitic statement,” said Hadar in a post on Instagram.

Hadar also shared his interactions with officers, stating that officers asked him to keep a distance from protestors, which he disregarded.

The Parliamentary Protective Service issued a Trespass to Property Act notice to Hadar for the incident, which prohibits him from entering Parliament Hill for one year. They also shared in a statement with 613OttawaTV saying “the situation appears to have been an isolated incident and there is no threat to the Parliamentary Precinct.”

Per his public Linkedin, Hadar is currently an Officer in Training for the Canadian Armed Forces, and worked as an Infantry Soldier from 2015 to 2018 for the Israeli Armed Forces. 

The Palestine Unified Rally & March on Nov. 12 was one of several protests in the capital in support of Palestinians since the beginning of Israel’s ongoing genocide in Palestine.