photo by Mico Mazza

Kate Hudson

The Fulcrum: Why are you running?

Hudson: I’ve seen a lot of people maybe frustrated with the SFUO in previous years, but they don’t do anything about it, and I think that if you want to see change you need to do it yourself.

I’m going to be here for a fifth year, so I thought, “Why not run for the SFUO?” I think I can really make a difference in students’ lives.

What are some of the goals you hope to accomplish?

One of the big things I want to do is reconnect with the federated bodies, because in past years there has been a lot of unrest—a lot of talk of defederation—and rather than simply telling them “No,” it’s important to start a dialogue with them and understand what their thoughts are, what their priorities are, and try and get them more involved in the SFUO. Give them more power to make their own decisions, so that they feel more invested in the SFUO—they feel that they’re really being listened to.

Do you have any on-campus experience related to the position?

I have been involved as a volunteer at the Pride Centre for several years. I’ve been involved with the mental health campaign with the Peer Help Centre. I’ve been the vp internal for the Psychology Student’s Association for the past two years, as well as a [101 Week] guide for the past three years for the psychology [department].

Managing clubs and services on campus requires high organizational communication skills. How are you going to go about making sure all needs are met, policies are upheld, and everyone is happy?

I think the vp student affairs does rely a lot on people like the club coordinators and volunteers, so it’s really important to have a good relationship with the clubs coordinator and be able to delegate—but also let them do their own job.

I think it’s also important to have a regular schedule with regular office hours, so that if people have concerns they can always come into the office—something that’s regular and posted, so they know I’m available for them.

If you could completely restructure one student service at the U of O from the ground up, what would it be, why, and what are the changes you would make?

As of right now, I don’t think I would change any clubs or services. I think the thing that I might change is how we serve them.

So, I would push for more timely levies for clubs and being able to process their subsidies quicker. But, as far as the services, I think they’re all really well structured. There’s really little room for improvement there.

Can you give us a quote to remember you by?

It’d be an honour to represent students at the University of Ottawa as your student affairs.

Who are your favourite fictional hero and villain and why?

My favourite fictional hero would have to be Batman, because he’s really awesome and his super power is intelligence. That’s pretty cool.

My favourite villain would have to be the Joker. I’m a huge Batman fan. I’m kind of a nerd as well, so I like all of the comic books heroes and villains, but Batman would definitely have to be a favourite.

photo by Mico Mazza

Tasha Peters 

The Fulcrum: Why are you running?

Peters: I’ve been pretty involved on campus for four years now in a lot of different vicinities, and I’ve seen a lot of great work that’s been done and also a lot of things that can be done to make our campus even better for students.

There’s such a diversity of really awesome, amazing, interesting students on our campus … that often don’t get seen, and I want to be able to listen to those voices, amplify those voices, and work with students.

Recognizing that there are a lot of barriers that students face and helping work with students to address those is important. I feel like we can work together to start addressing a lot of these barriers that students face.

What are some of the goals you hope to accomplish if you win?

One big thing is working with the different portfolios together.  So how can the services work with clubs and forge those links?  How can the services and clubs work with the businesses? That’s going to be a big thing. Also looking after students’ well-being. One thing I want to push for: More microwaves on campus.

The mental health campaign is something that I really care about and want to work really hard on and strengthen for students. I want to help clubs reach out more—having bulk purchasing for clubs so they can actually use the SFUO’s bulk purchase program so they can get like T-shirts and stuff like that to publicize their club for more affordable prices.

[Student] services’ websites is going to be a really top priority for me if I’m elected.  The way they are structured now makes it really difficult for them to always be up-to-date, and it’s important for the services and also for students to be able to access those services, that there is really salient information on there. That’s going to be a big priority.

Finally, making sure students’ voices are heard. I really want to set up a clubs roundtable, as well as create a task force with all different students on campus, to really address issues of oppression and discrimination.

Do you have any on-campus experience related to your position?

I worked in the services for a couple of years. Right now I am working at the Sustainable Development Centre, so I have some experience working at events. I’ve also been really involved with different clubs over the years. Rotaract in first year, and I’ve been involved in Green Campus when that was running.

I was a coordinator of Alt 101 Week last year, so that was a big task of organizing events and things that I took on.

I also worked in the Sustainable Development Office of the university a couple years ago.

Managing clubs and services on campus requires high organizational and communication skills. How will you go about ensuring all needs are met, policies upheld, and everyone is happy?

I have a lot of experience organizing really huge events. A couple of years ago, there was a huge thousand-person conference on this campus to talk about climate change that brought … youth from across the country. I was a really big part of organizing that.

I’ve worked with volunteers and learned it’s important to keep talking to everyone, make sure everyone’s concerns are met. This job obviously has a lot of staff with all those services, so I think talking to them—making sure they’re supported—is going to have to be a top priority. Organization is really key.

In terms of policies, I’ve been on the [Board of Administration] for a couple of years, so I think having a really clear understanding of the policies in the first place is going to be … important.

It’s a huge job—there are so many things to do—but I have a fair bit of experience and I think I can do it, especially with a great team of other executives.

If you could restructure one student service from the ground up at the U of O, what would it be, why, and what are the changes you would make?

I really respect all of the people who work and volunteer in the services. I would be really hesitant to say, “This is how I am going to restructure a service,” because I think those people who are using the service, work at that service, and volunteer at that service need to be integral in that process.

I worked at the Bike Co-op and I think … a huge barrier for the Bike Co-op is its location. When I worked there that was pretty evident. I think it’s not feasible right away to have it moved on campus, but I think that needs to be a long-term plan.

Also, really supporting the Bike Co-op in having at least parts of its services—like maybe workshops and stuff like that—on-campus so it’s more accessible to students.

I want to look after students’ well-being; I want to make sure student’s voices are heard; and I want to make sure that the huge diversity of students on this campus are seen and represented.

Fern Gulley was my favourite movie growing up, so I would say the fairy from Fern Gulley—she was the best. She is definitely one of many favourite fictional heroes.  At least she was when I was three years old and that kind of stayed with me.

I guess my favourite villain is Robin Hood; he was a villain to some people. I actually don’t like Robin Hood that much—just the way he gives to people as opposed to working with them.