Pandemic activities
2020 brought to light so many things that are wrong in the world, but has allowed us to become more aware, more educated, and to take action. Image: Dasser Kamran/Fulcrum.

Plenty of positives have come out of the pandemic

Back in January, I had one of the most fun days of my life — my birthday of course. I thought it was going to be my year, and 2020 was going to be filled with unforgettable memories and tales for the ages. 

Those unforgettable moments turned out to be a lot different than I once thought on that cold January day. Rather, I missed out on crazy nights at the club with my friends and thrilling games with my ultimate frisbee team over the summer. 

Instead, clubs were closed, the season was cancelled, and everyone was stuck at home for months. It sucked. Eight months later, it still doesn’t feel real. 

I go on and on about the awful things that have come from COVID-19, from not being able to play sports, to adapting to a new kind of loneliness, not to mention the lives lost and families unable to see each other for the holidays. 2020 has been unforgiving. 

It’s easy to look at the bad, but in reality, there have been some positives. 

The first thing I realized was that life isn’t so bad. When everything was taken away and we were quarantined in our homes, it was a pretty big reality check. With our everyday routines shaken up, and being unable to do all the things we enjoy, I found myself realizing how little I was appreciating things. 

We need to appreciate being able to go out to eat, going to the movies, going to class, or even being able to smile when we pass someone on the street. There is an endless list of things we take for granted.

The pandemic has also given us time to focus on important social issues, and really promote them on social media where people would see them and take the time to learn about them. Notably, the Black Lives Matter movement, which flooded social media, made sure that people were aware of the issues taking place. 2020 brought to light so many things that are wrong in the world, but has allowed us to become more aware, more educated, and to take action. 

Then there’s the little things. I’ve spent more time taking walks, and I’ve reached out to friends and family I haven’t been in touch with in a while. I tried new things, and I learned new skills. I was able to take a break from life for a moment, take a breather, and reset. I was reminded of how much I truly enjoy things that had begun to overwhelm me. I was able to take some time to practice some major self-care and get closer with the friends in my bubble. 

Most importantly, I was lucky to have made a number of realizations about myself. Over the past few months, I discovered things that I am genuinely passionate about, things that I might not have come across if it weren’t for a global pandemic. And, I discovered that there are things that I was doing that I truly did not enjoy or might not have been so good for me. I’ve been able to focus on the things that I am passionate about, or at least plan for them. 

Again, it’s easy to focus on the negatives, but a little reflection on the past eight or nine months might make you realize that not everything has been awful. Take the time to flip your mindset into a positive one and you’ll be sure to see the brighter moments 2020 had to offer. 

Hopefully everyone has found at least a little bit of positive light in these trying times. It has not been easy, but there’s always something to look back on and smile about.