‘Relaunch committee’ formed to oversee transition after team’s two-year absence
The University of Ottawa’s men’s hockey team’s future has been uncertain for the past 15 months in the wake of highly publicized sexual assault allegations, but on June 3 the university announced the team would be relaunched for the 2016-17 season.
Sports Services outlined a series of measures they have put in place to create an appropriate environment for the return of the men’s hockey team. Specific measures include behavioural guidelines, orientation sessions, appointing an ethics and discipline committee, and implementing the recommendations made by the Task Force on Respect and Equality.
“We are confident these measures will foster a positive environment for our student-athletes and coaching staff,” said Marc Schryburt, director of Sports Services in a press release. “We will ensure that all of Sports Services’ programs at uOttawa continue to receive our guidance and support.”
On March 3, 2014 the university suspended the program indefinitely while an investigation process was carried out. Since then, former members of the men’s hockey team have launched a lawsuit against the university.
Sports Services said they’ve also introduced a ‘Relaunch Committee’ stocked with community business leaders and alumni to ensure a successful launch.
According to the announcement the committee is “tasked with overseeing the development and implementation of a business model to support the men’s hockey program in the initial relaunch phase as well as to ensure its long-term financial stability.”
Sport Services has listed hiring a new head coach as their top priority in hopes of a successful Gee-Gees men’s hockey team hitting the ice in 2016.