Passionate moviegoers and casual fans of film can still count on an array of promising cinematic choices arriving this year. Image: Sanjida Rashid/The Fulcrum.

Amid last year’s double strike of Hollywood actors and writers (that halted multiple productions), cinemaheads can still look forward to another exciting year of new releases

The summer of 2023 saw both the WGA (Writers Guild of America) and the SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Television Producers) take serious action against their employers: major production companies and wealthy TV studios. Therefore, 2024 will see a drop in the projected number of newly releasing films. 

But fear not! Passionate moviegoers and casual fans of film can still count on an array of promising cinematic choices arriving this year, as revitalized actors and writers look to rebound with a bang.

With popular sequels coming out for Joker, Deadpool, Kungfu Panda, Bad Boys, Despicable Me, Ghostbusters, Dune, and Gladiator, 2024 has already been dubbed a year of familiar, fondly-remembered blockbuster releases that have captivated audiences before.

And for those wondering, striking actors and writers demanded (and successfully negotiated) an increase in compensation,as well as length of standard employment, and the average size of writing teams.

Additionally, they demanded that the potential utilization of generative artificial intelligence softwares be considered invalid grounds specifically for replacing human writers, or lessening their wages. At the same time, the deal granted these same writers access to use AI in their future work.

But enough about business. Let’s talk about 2024’s upcoming films!

Mean Girls (12 January)

Fans of highly acclaimed 2004 hit-comedy Mean Girls can look forward to the broadway adaptation of the original 2004 movie. This modern classic will take on a funny, laugh-out-loud classic, set in a Chicago high school.  The film stars Angourie Rice and Reneé Rapp, with Tina Fey (who co-wrote the 2004 original) playing the teacher overseeing the common struggles and triumphs of young people navigating America’s difficult education system. 

There is also a Broadway musical adaptation of Mean Girls, with tour dates scheduled for January in Canadian cities such as Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Argylle (2 February)

Manners maketh man, or so they say (they being spies). Essentially, if you were at all enthralled by director Matthew Vaughn’s Kingsman franchise, or simply fascinated by the espionage film genre (the fancy word for spy, I just found out), then Argylle is top viewing priority. 

Considered this year’s major spy-action-comedy blockbuster, the cast is abundant with household Hollywood names such as Bryan Cranston, Dua Lipa, Henry Cavill, and Sam Rockell to list a few. The story follows novelist Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard) as she gets caught up in the thrilling world of spies, criminal organizations, and the shady underground economy.

Bob Marley: One Love (14 February)

Another biopic on this list belongs to the late and great Bob Marley. A legendary cultural representation of peace, love, freedom, and unity, the news of Bob Marley’s biopic finally hitting theaters is sure to make many people happy, including advocates for social progress and good music. 

Kingsley Ben-Adir is slotted to play the always-smiling Jamaican icon, with the multitalented Lashana Lynch starring as Marley’s wife, while director Reinaldo Marcus Green calls the shots.

Back to Black (10 May)

The genre of biographical films, or biopic, has gained popularity in recent years. Back in Black follows the life and career of british icon Amy Winehouse. Known widely and undoubtedly as a talented singer-songwriter, the film showcases Winehouse’s incredibly successful path to the top of the music world. More specifically, the movie chronicles  the released one of history’s greatest and best-selling albums titled: Back to Black (2006). 

Starring Marisa Abela as Winehouse, and directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson (who released a John Lennon biopic in 2009), the film will also document Winehouse’s early challenges as an up-and-coming London artist. The movie will detail how she dealt with the burden of fame, and the influential impact she had on paving the way for other female artists, like Adele and Estelle, to flourish in the British music scene.

Wolfs (20 September)

The last most-anticipated film on this list is led by two Hollywood mega-giants of the past two decades: Brad Pitt and George Clooney. This action-based mystery/psychological drama is directed by famous Marvel director Jon Watts, and is reportedly about “two lone wolf fixers who are assigned to the same job,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. Wolfs will also feature Amy Ryan, known for her roles in The Office and more recently in Beau is Afraid.

There will be lots of opportunities to visit the cinema in 2024!