Reading Time: < 1 minute

U of O student designs and shows her first fashion collection

Photo by Alina Kalinina

WHILE OTTAWA FASHION Week took place in Gatineau, another fashion event took place Sept. 14 at the Ottawa Convention Centre. Run by True Modelesque, the Les Bons show featured fashion, music, and entertainment.

One of the designers featured at Les Bons was Lydia Talajic, a second-year University of Ottawa theatre and arts administration student who showcased her collection for the first time. Talajic is also a model and walked for three other shows at Les Bons.

Talajic says that growing up, her style was unique and she was always interested in trying “stuff that no one else would put together.”

As a child, she was always interested in arts and crafts, including hand sewing, but learned the craft more successfully in the past four years as she started making her own garments.

Her collection targets young adults who want to stand out in the crowd. Her inspirations are street wear, grunge mixed with dark colours, and neutrals with accents. Her favourite designer, Betsey Johnson, also influences her work.

What makes Talajic’s collection and clothes unique is her experience in modeling. She wants clothes that she would like to wear as a model.

“Something that’s funky,” she explains. “Comfort is number one.”

She says studying theatre made her more organized, helped her learn about the entertainment business, and “work really hard for almost nothing.”

Her fashion advice to fellow U of O students is to be confident in fashion choices.

“Pick whatever you want,” says Talajic, “and just don’t care what other people think of your outfit.”