A graphic that says CLIO
Logo provided by the History Students’ Association (HSA).

The History Students’ Association’s peer-reviewed magazine

While exploring student publications around the U of O, the Fulcrum came across Clio, the peer-reviewed journal under the History Student Association (HSA). Starting out as part of a competition for undergraduate history students in 2013, it has grown to become a successful academic journal, recently publishing its 11th edition. This bilingual publication is available both online and in print form.  

While Clio is a subcommittee under the HSA, they operate without interference from them. Clio is responsible for its own day-to-day operations, and making key decisions with regards to the publishing and editing process independent of the HSA executive team. The Clio executive board, composed of two directors and multiple editors, is a separate entity from the HSA executive team.

Clio executives are responsible for the theme of the publications as well as the peer-review editing process for the journal. Its link to the HSA is “in an academic sense” according to Ewan Wilson, the president of the History Students’ Association. While Clio focuses on building students’ academic careers, the HSA is responsible for social aspects of history students’ experiences at the U of O. This has been accomplished by hosting events like film screenings and trivia nights.

Clio affords students in the faculty of arts the opportunity to grow and expand their academic network as well as gain professional experience. Due to the liberal nature of the publication, contributors are free to write anything from light-hearted issues to more complicated topics in either French or English.

Additionally, contributors are given the opportunity to present their paper to professors and fellow students who are interested in the topic of their paper. Thus, through Clio, undergraduate students at the Faculty of Arts have the opportunity to publish papers in a peer-reviewed journal and present it to an audience of experts. 

Interested in getting in touch with Clio? Fill out the contact form on the HSA website, follow the HSA for updates about Clio on Instagram or speak with a department head at the Students’ Association of the Faculty of Arts (SAFA).

• Fejiro is in her third year of International development and globalization with a minor in Economics. Fejiro is serving as a staff writer for the 2024-25 publishing year.