Art Walk: A free treat for the public

OTTAWA’S WELLINGTON WEST has been transformed over the past few years into an artistic stomping ground, with highlights such as the Wellington Marbles, new indie venues, and frequent musical and theatrical performances in the area parks. Students who enjoy art will especially love the First Thursdays Art Walk, a monthly event that envelops most of the district.

The First Thursdays Art Walk is composed of six art galleries within walking distance of each other, located roughly between Parkdale Avenue and Island Park Drive along Wellington Street West. The galleries include, in order from east to west: Patrick John Mills Contemporary Art Gallery (PJM), Orange Gallery, Fritzi Gallery, Exposure Gallery, Gallery 3, and Cube Gallery.

On the first Thursday of every month, these galleries hold grand openings of their exhibits for that month, at which art lovers can see the works free of charge. Some galleries also hold a meet and greet with the artists at their openings.

Following the walk through all six galleries, students will see a wide variety of artistic styles—from abstract to realistic—and various mediums, including oil paintings, photographs, pencil drawings, sculptures, and everything in-between.

One of the most popular galleries with students is PJM, due to its more contemporary and often sexually driven works. PJM displays themed exhibits each month, with past themes including “Naked Naked Naked”, “Porn is Not Art / Porn is Art”, and “Love”.

PJM recently underwent a major expansion in November, which increased the gallery’s size from 2,000 to 2,900 square feet and saw the building’s second floor newly opened to the public.

One of the most interesting things about the expansion is the art gallery has seemingly moved right into owner Patrick John Mills’ home. The upstairs portion of the gallery leads spectators through Mills’ kitchen, living room, and even bathroom.

This intimate expansion works to symbolize the unity Mills sees between art and life.

“There is no difference between art and life. Art is everything. I want my life to be everything. I want to experience everything with completeness,” says Mills in an interview with Mathieu Laca on Mills’ website.

Mills also believes the expansion will allow for “the largest, most comprehensive display of [his] work in 20 years.”

“Anything I paint, create, envision[,] I get to manifest and share with those around me … It is especially a joy when I get to share [the art] with others that embrace it,” says Mills, on what he likes most  about running the gallery.

Students are sure to have an interesting and thought-provoking evening at the First Thursdays Art Walk.

If you need a little extra incentive to check out Arts Walk—you’ll get some. PJM and Orange Gallery provide free food and beverages—including beer and wine.

Missed the opening? The exhibits run throughout the entire month, and it’s always free to attend—but the free food and drinks will be long gone.

Patrick John Mills Contemporary Art Gallery is located at 286 Hinchey Ave. The next First Thursdays Art Walk will be held on Jan. 5 between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. For the full interview with Patrick John Mills and Mathieu Laca, visit Patrickjohnmills.ca/rawnakedsoul.htm.

—Sam Cowan