THE ART OF thrift shopping may seem cheap and dirty to some, but for vintage lovers the thrift store is paradise. Little can replace the euphoric high accompanying a vintage find. The art of thrifting takes plenty of practice and many bouts of disappointment. Follow these tips on thrift shopping and you can become a thrift connoisseur overnight.

Change your attitude
If you’re one of those people who believe it’s not acceptable to shop second hand, you’re wrong. Yes, some thrift stores aren’t necessarily clean and don’t carry high-quality items, but this is the exception, not the rule. Most thrift stores carry an assortment of quality items at a ridiculously discounted rate—$2 for a blazer, anyone? Diversify your regular shopping stomping grounds and you’ll find your- self with a cheaper wardrobe with a lot more variety.

Where to thrift
Sometimes what you discover at a vintage store comes down to where you go. Sec- ond-hand stores are similar to organized chaos. Things are usually strewn across the store and difficult to sift through. Don’t be discouraged or overwhelmed by the mess. Scour all racks, dig through all dollar bins relentlessly.

Luckily, Ottawa is a treasure trove waiting to be discovered. With downtown thrift stores such as Rag Time Vintage Clothing and others scattered across the city, such as Value Village and The May Court Bargain Box, it’s easy to become an expert thrifter no matter where you are in town.

When to thrift
As anyone who has been hunting for valuable second-hand items will know, it’s not always where, but when, you go. Vintage shops will usually have an inventory schedule, and if you know when their new merchandise arrives, it’ll guarantee you get first pick. Ask a sales associate or the manager when their shipments come in to increase your chance of finding better quality items.

Experiment and try it on
With cheap clothing, it’s important to realize thrifting is a great way to experiment with trends without impacting your bank. When you shop second hand, you can go out of your fashion comfort zone without racking up debt. Although you have more financial freedom in thrift stores, that’s no excuse not to try things on. It’s not worth $5 if you never wear it.

—Sofia Hashi