Unibroue’s Éphémère Apple

Where to find it: C’est What?, a fantastic bar in downtown Toronto, at a convenience store or SAQ in Gatineau, and at a few special LCBO stores.

Comparable to: Blanche de Chambly, which can be found at any bar in Ottawa worth going to.

This is a glorious drinking experience. Any hesitation you might have of drinking an apple-flavoured beer is quickly dissipated after a sip of this crisp and pleasantly sweet gourmet white ale.

Most beers from Unibroue are worthy of your time, but this one is lighter, fruitier, and frankly more enjoyable than the brewery’s more well-distributed, stronger beers like Maudite and La Fin du Monde. Finding it at the LCBO can be tricky, as it’s only available at selected stores seasonally. However, its closest cousin, Blanche de Chambly, is widely distributed in Ottawa — although I don’t advise throwing slices of Granny Smith in to replicate the flavour of Éphémère Apple. Have it on a night out with old friends, or on any night when you want to pay more attention to taste than price.

Bottom line: 4 out of 5

BEER (Full Pint)WEB

BEER (Full Pint)WEBBEER (Full Pint)WEBBEER (Full Pint)WEBBEER (Spilled Pint)WEB