Notable performing artists are Iggy Pop, Hozier, KALEO, the Arkells, David Kushner, X Ambassadors. Photo: Parker Townes/Fulcrum

Why you should attend the eclectic music festival in late September 

As this sweltering September heatwave eases, I am looking to enjoy the last dregs of summer fun. The CityFolk festival presents the perfect opportunity to do so. CityFolk is a music festival that takes place at Lansdowne Park annually in September.

This vibrant multi-day (Sept. 13- 17) celebration of music, dance, and community boasts a diverse range of entertainment. While the genre consists mostly of folk (as indicated by the name) there is no shortage of music that you can dance to. Across multiple stages, the festival provides a platform for artists from various genres to express their creativity. 

Notable performing artists are Iggy Pop, Hozier, KALEO, the Arkells, David Kushner, X Ambassadors, and many more. The full festival schedule can be found here.

I am most excited to see Hozier, the Arkells, and KALEO. In addition, some Ottawa-based musicians will be performing. This includes Sophie Ash who is a bilingual songwriter, composer, and co-producer of her 2022 self-released debut EP titled “Midnight Thoughts”. 

Ash is also a student in Health Sciences at the University of Ottawa. In an interview with the Fulcrum, she discussed balancing school and music. “I believe that it’s possible to do both. Sometimes it can be quite challenging being a student and an artist [because] you don’t always have so much time to focus on your music, especially during exam periods.”

Ash will be performing at CityFolk on Sept. 14 at 5 p.m. She remarked how the city continues to provide opportunities for her artistic development. “There are lots of opportunities in the city: open mic’s, programs that encourage local artists, music groups. So don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, and trust your abilities.”

Since she is both a student and a musician, Ash has excellent insight into why students should attend the festival. “What is great about this festival is that they also have free performances on specific days (Sept. 14- 15). It’s a great opportunity to go out, get together with people, and have some fun listening to some good live music. It’s also great that it’s [the] second week of September, so [school’not too busy yet.”

Sophie Ash will be performing songs from her EP, covers, and some unreleased tracks as well.

Don’t miss the 2023 CityFolk festival.

Tickets are available on the CityFolk website

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.