BABETTE HAYWARD

THE SOULFUL MUSIC of Babette Hayward can be described as the perfect lullaby. Her soft, sweet voice, soothing melodies, and blooming arrangements are as calming as watching a sunset on a warm summer’s eve. The Maritime folk singer says her inspiration comes from her surroundings, namely the lush landscapes of New Brunswick where she grew up.
Currently touring and promoting her debut album, You Might Be Somebody, Hayward is receiving attention and buzz in the music scene. The album features songs like the slow but entertaining “Break Line”, and the charming, more upbeat “Gravestone”, both of which deserve many hits on the replay button. Hayward, who is only 21 years old, is not only bringing folk music to a younger audience, but is redefining the genre.
No auto-tune will be found on Hayward’s album. Rather, this artist relies on her sultry voice to shine through. Listen to the rich sounds of Hayward’s voice while studying or relaxing and let this rising artist dazzle you.

Sounds like: A young Tracy Chapman.

Check her out: Check out Hayward’s work at Myspace.com/babettehayward.

DAVID LAFRANCE

QUEBECOIS ARTIST DAVID Lafrance, as with most painters, draws his inspiration from many influences. Whether it’s his immediate surroundings or an issue he wishes to depict on canvas, this painter/sculptor uses mediums such as folk art, fashion, and modern paintings to aid his creative process.
His most recent series is a vibrantly coloured take on landscapes. Lafrance portrays the beauty of natural, relatively untouched rural sceneries along with the destruction of landscapes in urban settings. Contemporary architecture, along with undefined structures, also make an appearance in his work.
The paintings may take on an abstract nature, but the bare necessities are present for the viewer to understand the subject matter and form opinions on the works. Lafrance also creates his own music and plays the urban sounds of the city streets or the natural cry of birds in the background as audiences view his works. Known for playing with elements like perception and scale, Lafrance’s vast landscapes will evoke many emotions within their viewers.

Looks like: A conceptual approach to worldly landscapes.

Check it out: This Oct. 20 at Gallery 3, located at 1281B Wellington St. W.