What’s that in the Mix? Photo: Diggin Roots Album Cover

Celebrating another year of amazing Indigenous artists

As we approach the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, it’s time for Fulc Music to step back and appreciate some of the greatest Indigenous artists Canada has to offer. From classic hits to this year’s JUNO nominees, this mixtape has something to offer for everyone.

1.      “The Circle Game” from Fire Fleet And Candlelight – Buffy Saint-Marie

An oldie but goldie, Buffy Saint-Marie headlines with her incredible contributions to the genre. Between iconic artists such as Elvis Presley and Glen Campbell covering her work and her own major award wins in 1964 and 1982, it’s no surprise the opening track to our playlist is given to her.

2.      “I Pity the Country” from Self-Titled – Willie Dunn

Willie Dunn was an incredibly outspoken, multi-talented activist and with a strong, folky voice. Dunn earns spot two with his classic criticism of colonialism. Writing and singing for radio shows, television, and movies, his creative output is staggering.

3.      “O Siem” from This Child – Susan Aglukark

Skipping to the year 1995, activist Susan Aglukark launches into the records with “O Siem”, landing her as the first-ever Inuk to have an international hit. A real treat of a percussive line! Aglukark continues today in her contributions to the Indigenous Literacy Initiative.

4.      “Uja” from Animism – Tanya Tagaq

Eccentric, electric, and avant-garde, we jump forward to Tanya Tagaq’s 2014 release, Animisim. Incredibly unique and intense, this album is guaranteed to show off what can be done inside the Canadian electronic sphere.

5.      “It’s been so lonely” from Unbreakable – The Bearhead Sisters

A return to the essentials and tradition, the Bearhead Sisters lockdown their nomination for this year’s JUNO awards with ease. Leaving the fluff and extras to others, this track is a simple mix with little to leave to interpretation, reassuringly so.

6.      “Mehcinut” from Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa – Jeremy Dutcher

“Mehcinut” comes in blazing, Dutcher’s beautiful combinations of dazzling piano and old Wolastoqiyik recordings reverb throughout space. It’s wonderfully passionate and it makes far too much sense that it earned the JUNO award in 2018.

7.      “Hikiki” from Katajjausiit – Iva and Angu

Starting strong off this year’s JUNO nominees, Iva and Angu’s incredible traditional album shows off the widest range of the human voice. At times almost percussive in voice, this track is a tapestry of layered voice work that slowly builds and demands all your attention.

8.      “Code Red” from Code Red – Indian City

Stealing the next slot, Indian City presents a modern rock piece that is exactly what Canadian folk-rock is looking for. Charming harmonies and a production quality that feels so new it’s shiny. A definite high point for me.

9.      “It Hurts (Everyone Was There)” from Beyond the Reservoir – Julian Taylor

Calling back to Willie Dunn and Buffy Saint-Marie, Julian Taylor evolves the sound they pioneered, handing us a delightfully easy country-folk listen that provokes a feeling of self-reflection. This is a very rewarding JUNO nominee album.

10.  “Journey Home” from The Crossing – Susan Aglukark

Ending off our mix, Susan Aglukark’s Journey Home is too fun not to include. Easy to sing along to, even easier to lose time to, this track takes you and puts you in a nice warm blanket while beautiful guitar tones strum their way to your curious ears.

Listen to the mix and other playlists from the Fulcrum here.

• Daniel is in his second year of a major/minor in History and English. This is his first year working for the Fulcrum, and (hopefully!) not his last. You can catch him lurking in the Arts & Culture or Features sections! When he's not writing up to his ears, he's probably playing Mahjong or obsessing over new music.