Cheap and easy food recipes

Photos by Tina Wallace

With midterms approaching, many students hardly find the time to make themselves something to eat, and it may have them spending more and getting less at fast food restaurants and cafés. However, with the right resources, students can not only save money but also get the required nutrients to help boost test performance and keep their tummies satisfied. Check out these simple recipes that can be easily modified to fit your tastes.

Yogurt ParfaitsSupplement_Parfait_TinaWallace

Blueberries, approx. $2 per carton
Cut strawberries, approx $2 per carton
Raspberries, approx $2 per carton
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt, approx $4 per tub
½ cup crushed whole wheat cereal or granola, approx. $3 per box

Mix the above ingredients together in a bowl (or straight into the yogurt tub if you’re really hungry), stick a spoon in it, and shovel it into your mouth. Yogurt parfaits make for great study snacks and quick breakfasts before an early class. If you’re not into berries, they can easily be substituted for peaches, apples, bananas, or any fruit your heart desires. There are many yogurt flavours to try as well. Be quick when grocery stores have fruit on sale and chuck all of them in with your yogurt for an even cheaper price tag.

Yogurt parfaits also make for a great group study snack and look very appealing and professional when you layer the fruit, yogurt, and cereal in glasses instead of bowls.

There are  plenty of websites like canadianliving.com and
vegansociety.com—for vegetarians and vegans—that are great sources for easy and quick recipes to fill you up while you study.

Egg Salad

2 eggs, approx. $2.50 per half dozen
1 stalk minced or chopped celery, approx. $2 for a bunch
1/4 cup minced or chopped green onion, approx. $1 for a bunch
Mayonnaise, approx. $4 per jarSupplement_EggSalad_TinaWallace
Salt and pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Bread and/or crackers, approx. $3 per loaf

Fill a saucepan with water and carefully submerge eggs. Bring to a boil. Remove the saucepan from heat, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes. Then drain and chill the eggs in their shells under cold running water. Remove the shells and finely chop the eggs.

In a bowl, combine chopped eggs, celery, green onion, mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and cayenne. Mix thoroughly and spread on bread or crackers.

This salad is usually eaten as a sandwich or with a side of crackers, and can be enjoyed as either a full meal or a side snack. Even though it’s called egg salad, it is purely optional to use eggs, as the recipe can be made into tuna or salmon salad as well. And if you have leftovers from last night’s dinner, chicken works too.

Added together, the price totals about $13, but these are all items you can use in other recipes as well. Think eggs on toast or scrambled eggs with added green onion and cayenne pepper.