Ali Schwabe | Fulcrum Staff

Photo by Mico Mazza

NO IDEA WHAT to pick up for a Secret Santa gift? Unsure of what your best friend really wants on the seventh day of Hanukkah? Worried about finding the perfect Kwanzaa present? The Fulcrum’s got you covered with a gift guide full of budget-friendly, unique gifts that will actually be appreciated by everyone on your list.

LUSH gift basket
You’d be hard-pressed to find a woman who would say no to a gift basket from LUSH, and a bunch of men will really love them too. They’re a special treat for students who normally wouldn’t spend their extra cash on bath and beauty products, they smell delicious, they’re handmade in Canada, vegetarian, and they’re excellent value for what you get. Available at LUSH stores. Price: From $4.95 for a winter bath bomb to $225.95 for an elaborate kit, with plenty of middle-range pre-packaged gift sets as well.

Magazine subscription
Super affordable and easily customizable to even the pickiest gift-receiver. You can find a magazine catered to all sorts of interests, be it running, fashion, science, or pets. Every month a new issue will arrive, and you’ll be remembered as the best present-giver ever. Available online at most magazines’ websites. Price: $14.99 to $34.99.

Maple syrup
In search of a present for the person who has everything? Take a quick trip to the ByWard Market and pick them up a bottle of high-quality Canadian maple syrup. It’s not your typical gift, and your recipient will think of you and smile any time they have pancakes. Available in the ByWard Market. Price: $20 for 1L.

Magnetic poetry kit
There’s nothing more hilarious than the poetic musings of drunken students—give the gift of creativity and many laughs to your roommate this year with a magnetic poetry kit. They come in all sorts of themes—why not try the lovers’ set for that steamy someone? Available at Venus Envy. Price: $29.95.

Concert and sporting event tickets
They’re a classic for a reason.

Martini shaker
This gift is sure to get the drinks connoisseur of your group moving and shaking. It’s a present they’ll keep for a long time and adds a touch of class to any student apartment. Available at most kitchen stores, department stores, and home goods stores. Price: $30–$45.

Rdio subscription
With 18 million songs and counting, Rdio has a huge library of music that you can search and create playlists from. Your best friend will appreciate the ability to seamlessly sync their music with their phone and laptop and never worry about paying $0.99 on ITunes again. Available at Rdio.com. Price: $4.99/month for desktop version, $9.99/month for phone and desktop version.

Fuzzy slippers
They’re cute, warm, and will make the recipient’s toes toasty and happy. Available at Forever 21. Price: $6.50–$12.99.

University of Ottawa bookstore gift card
We’re all going to need to buy textbooks come January. Although it doesn’t seem like an exciting gift initially, come second semester a gift card will help lessen the burden of paying for books—putting a smile on any student’s face. Available at the bookstore. Price: Your call.

Yoga mat
For your friends who always seem to be complaining about how stressed and tense they are, a yoga mat is a gift that will encourage them to take a break and chill out. It’s super affordable—so pick a design your pal will appreciate and maybe include a voucher for a yoga class with you too! Available at Chapters. Price: $20–$30.

Fondue kit
What could be more fun than a fondue kit? Chances are slim that your recipient already has one, and chances are also slim that they wouldn’t love one. For bonus points, get them a brick of cheese or a bar of chocolate to get the party started. Available at Wal-Mart. Price: $19.99.

Funny notepads
A humorous pad for scribbling down “Not To-Do Lists” or planning “What to Wear” for the week is unique and inexpensive, plus it’s a gift that will actually get used. Available at Mrs. Tiggy Winkles. Price: $10.

Wacky journal
This one line a day memory book gives students a way to keep track of their university years without committing to taxing page-long journal entries. There’s only room for one line each day, then you can look back on the same day for five years, seeing how life’s evolved. A cool, thoughtful present. Available at Urban Outfitters. Price: $16.95.