Photo: Bridget Coady/Fulcrum.

Chants of “Trans rights are human rights” met with “leave the kids alone”

On Sept. 20, marches were organized around Canada under the banner of taking part in a “million [person] march for Children”. Demonstrators took to the streets of Canadian cities to protest perceived indoctrination. In Ottawa, the million march assembled on the lawn of Parliament Hill.

kids brought to protest
flag

Down the street, at the Supreme Court of Canada, a counter-protest assembled before walking over to meet the million march. At the Supreme Court leaflets on safety plans and rights were passed around while labour leaders spoke to the crowd and thanked politicians for their presence and solidarity.

counter-protest
The counter-protest met at the Supreme Court before walking up Wellington.
NDP leader
walking
police

The counter-protest walked up Wellington with a heavy police presence ensuring the two crowds kept a distance from one another. Toronto Police had been brought in to strengthen enforcement.

police
police

One member of the Million march held a black and white Canadian flag and recited bible verses through a megaphone as the counter-protesters arrived taking up the sidewalk facing parliament and the original protest.

signs
sign
police
clashing

Around 11 a.m. the million man march did a loop around Ottawa Street, being escorted by police down Elgin St., and back to Parliament Hill via Bank St. At this time the counter-protest was dispersed by police.

signs
kids
sign
signs
police
Police escort the million march for children around the downtown core
tri-cycle
Counter-protesters kept a presence with one riding ahead of the march.

• Bridget Coady was the Fulcrum's news editor from spring to fall of 2021. Before that, she was the Fulcrum's staff photographer.