Pitching a tent in the middle of October

WITH FALL READING week just around the corner, many students are ready for a change of scenery without breaking the bank. Instead of eradicating your savings account, why not consider going camping? Fall camping is a great opportunity to get away from your dorm room or apartment on a student’s budget.

Surrounding the Ottawa Valley are a bunch of beautiful campsites, many of which stay open during the fall season. Students can pack up a van, head to a campground, and enjoy the natural beauty of the fall season on a dime.
Gatineau Park is the most convenient camping option for U of O students. Located 20 minutes away from Ottawa, the park is a great place for students to enjoy the fall foliage. History buffs will love Mackenzie King Estate, which is located in the park and is the country home of William Lyon Mackenzie King, former Canadian prime minister. With over 90 kilometres of bicycle paths throughout the sites, students can get active while taking in the beautiful landscape. Hiking enthusiasts should visit the Luskville Falls, which feature a path leading to the Eardley Escarpment and a spectacular view of the Ottawa Valley.

For those interested in escaping the Ottawa area altogether, consider heading to Logos Land Resort, located two hours north of Ottawa in Cobden, Ont. The resort offers campers special fall packages, which include train tours, fishing, and access to hiking trails. Logos Land also has a golf club for those looking to squeeze in a few more rounds before the winter season starts. Campers can stay in RVs, tents, or cabins, which are offered at a reduced rate during the fall.
Students who aren’t afraid of a long drive and some genuine wilderness exposure should head 300 kilometres west of Ottawa to Algonquin Park to enjoy what is arguably the most breathtaking scenery in Ontario. According to the park’s website, autumn is the best time to visit Algonquin, as the sight of the orange, yellow, and red forest is truly breathtaking. Here campers have the choice to stay at campgrounds in yurts (a circular or eight-sided structure similar to tents), ranger cabins, RVs, or tents. Serious adventure-seekers can hop in a canoe and paddle to set up camp in some of the most remote locations in the park. Algonquin Park is home to some of the finest Canadian wildlife, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for beavers, bears, and moose.

If you feel like you need a breather from the stress of midterms and city life, take a break at one of these lovely campgrounds and enjoy all that fall camping has to offer.

—Laura Falsetto