breaking news graphic
Partygoers are starting to vacate the area. Image: Rame Abdulkader/Fulcrum
Reading Time: < 1 minute

At least seven people have now been arrested in response to gatherings in the Sandy Hill area

Update: 1:03 a.m. Oct. 2

A little over six hours after the Gee-Gees won the 53rd Panda Game, the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) tweeted that officers were working to disperse the crowds gathering across Sandy Hill, including one growing congress on Somerset Street. 

Officers formed lines, pushing the groups back block by block and forcing individuals to taper off. Caution tape was also used to block sections off and keep students from reentering vacated areas. 

According to a tweet from OPS, objects were being thrown at officers, and ”this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated.”

Officers have apprehended and arrested at least two people for mischief, and another for intoxication and resisting arrest. Over 85 tickets have been issued to partygoers and hosts for open alcoholic beverages and excessive noise.

The University of Ottawa also took to Twitter later in the evening, urging students to vacate the area. “Please help us #Savethe Panda,” they said. 

Close to midnight, OPS reported that the crowds had begun to disperse, and that police would remain in the area to monitor and control the situation. 

Update: 10 a.m. Oct. 2

As of 1:15 a.m. this morning, OPS reported that seven people had been arrested for reasons including mischief and public intoxication, and 88 provincial offence notices had been issued for open alcohol.

Investigations are currently underway, and the OPS have stated they will be providing Carleton University and the University of Ottawa with the names of those who were arrested so that “student conduct rules may be applied.”

• After spending a year heading the multimedia team, Hailey has joined forces with Jasmine as the Fulcrum’s co-EICs. Outside of the news outlet, she is the entertainment editor at Her Campus at U Ottawa and spent some time as a contract author for aJoara Books. With an interest bordering on obsession with literature, Hailey can often be found in bookstores or hunkered down on her kindle.