Dr. Thierry Mesana to replace outgoing president in April 2014

DOCTOR THIERRY MESANA will take over for Dr. Robert Roberts as president and chief executive officer (CEO) of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute in April 2014.

The Institute conducted an extensive internal search to find Dr. Roberts’ replacement, with 12 potential candidates considered. Experience in education, clinical practice, and research leadership were the three key factors in potential candidates investigated by the search committee.

“Thierry Mesana is an internationally recognized cardiac surgeon,” said Lawrence Soloway, chair of the Heart Institute’s Board of Directors, in a press release. “He is also a remarkable leader who has contributed immensely to the Institute’s growth and success over the last 12 years. We are confident that he will be a very capable CEO and that our Institute will continue to shine worldwide under his leadership.”

Mesana is a professor of cardiac surgery at the University of Ottawa. He left his native France in 2001 and came to the Heart Institute to assume the role of chief cardiac surgeon. Prior to this, he worked as the chair of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at La Timone University Hospital in Marseilles, France. He was also a visiting professor at Harvard University as a professor of surgery in 1996 and 1997.

It is unclear whether or not Mesana will continue as a professor once he assumes his role as CEO and president of the Heart Institute.

Born and educated in France as a cardiac surgeon, Mesana also has a PhD in biophysics and was a visiting professor of surgery at Harvard University. He is currently the deputy director general of the Heart Institute and chairs the Transplants and Devices Committee.

Mesana will become the third president and CEO of the Heart Institute. Founded in 1969 by Dr. Wilbert Keon, the Heart Institute opened its doors for the first time in 1976. The U of O, the Ministry of Education, community partners, and hospitals across the province ensure the running of a world-class facility. Dr. Keon stayed on until 2004 as the president and CEO, at which point Dr. Roberts was appointed to a five-year term, ending April 2014.

“The Board also wants to thank Dr. Robert Roberts for his exceptional and relentless commitment to bringing the Heart Institute to new heights,” said Soloway. “Dr. Roberts is a gifted researcher and cardiologist.”

Mesana was overseas and not available for comment.