Reading Time: < 1 minute

Elections will be held to replace executives who have resigned

On Oct. 10, in an email to the undergraduate student body, the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) announced upcoming by-elections and their intention of creating a new agreement with the University of Ottawa.   

Earlier on Oct. 10, a job posting for a poll clerk was created on the SFUO website. The position indicates work from Oct. 28 to Nov. 2 for the “SFUO Fall Referendum.”

The by-election will be held for two executive positions—vice-president equity and vice-president internal. This follows the resignation of Caroline Lu, vice-president equity, which was made public at the September Board of Administration (BOA) meeting, and Katie Zwierzchowski, vice-president internal. Zwierzchowski’s resignation was not announced in a statement but is indicated on the SFUO’s website.

Additionally, the SFUO stated that they have begun developing a proposal for a “renewed relationship” with the university administration. This comes after the U of O announced the termination of the agreement with the SFUO, effective Dec. 24, 2018.

The proposal includes a new agreement which “will enable the SFUO to keep providing services.” The email does not specify if the agreement will include recognition of the SFUO as the official representative of the undergraduate student body.

The by-election will also include positions on the BOA for a Faculty of Education seat and on the U of O Senate for the Faculty of Education and Faculty of Civil Law.

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.