U of O's sign
Photo: Ken Lund/Flicker

University jumps to 141st spot with high marks in international outlook, citations

The University of Ottawa has made the top 150 of the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for 2020. The U of O jumped for a spot at 176 last year to 141 this year, with high rankings in international outlook and citations. 

“For the past few years, the University of Ottawa has consistently ranked among the top (two per cent) of universities in the world,” said U of O president Jacques Frémont in an emailed statement. “Today’s THE rankings clearly demonstrate that our efforts have paid off. Credit goes to our talented researchers, who constantly push the boundaries of knowledge, make breakthrough discoveries and bring forth innovative ideas.”

The ranking analyzed almost 1,400 universities from 92 countries around the world. According to their website, THE is a data analyzer and a “crucial factor in the study choices made by millions of students around the world.” 

The U of O is currently ranked seventh out of Canadian universities on the chart, with the University of Toronto ranking 18th overall — the highest Canadian university on the list.

In an email statement, Frémont said the university scored in the top 25th percentile for four out of the five categories used by THE to measure excellence — namely teaching, citations, research and international outlook. He wrote the rankings only “further cultivating its reputation for providing students with a world-class education.”

Frémont’s statement says improvements are coming to continue creating an engaging environment between students in a space that celebrates equity, diversity, and inclusivity.