PR students practice what they preach with ‘Let’s Grow Together’ conference

Photo submitted by uOPRA

In a field that requires its professionals to reach out and connect in order to be successful, it makes sense that PR and communications students from the University of Ottawa, Algonquin College, and La Cité collégiale have come together to organize a conference that will do just that.

The University of Ottawa Public Relations Association (UOPRA) will host the Let’s Grow Together conference on Feb. 4. There are 13 young professionals responsible for the five-hour conference set to take place Tuesday in Tabaret, who hope those in attendance will be inspired by speakers and guests who will offer up a “wealth of information on industries within PR” such as not for profit PR, music, fashion, and sports.

“Events, even sit-down conferences like Let’s Grow Together, can be intimidating, but this event and the speakers we have on board are chock-full of insightful information that you do not want to miss out on,” uOPRA wrote in an email to the Fulcrum.

At first, the organizers were uncertain about their ability to plan a conference of this size for the first time, but said that once they started confirming their speakers it was smooth sailing.

“There were a few moments where we were unsure of the reception of the event from students, but to our delight there has been a large amount of support from (the U of O), Carleton, and Algonquin students,” said Sharon Cheung, a second-year PR student at the U of O and president of uOPRA.

The day will begin at 10 a.m. with opening remarks from U of O Professor Isaac Nahon-Serfaty, uOPRA President Sharon Cheung, and planning team member Merick Seguin. Speakers representing various corners of the PR industry, including representatives from Bluesfest and iPolitics, will present throughout the day. The conference will also feature door prizes and a networking lunch between speakers.

Click here for more information.