Immunization clinic on campus. Photo: Hannah Vigneux/Fulcrum Archives

There are many ways to get your vaccinations; here are the most convenient for students

October brings midterms, the Panda Game, and, unfortunately, influenza (flu) and COVID-19 (COVID). The flu and other respiratory illnesses are more common in the fall and winter. 

To determine whether or not you are part of a high-priority group for immunization, you can visit the provincial website.

Even if you are not part of a high-priority group, it’s a great idea to get vaccinated anyway.

Trust me, the two seconds of discomfort is nothing compared to nursing a cold in the midst of midterms. Also, vaccination helps reduce the severity of illness and contributes to population immunity.

Plus, university is a breeding ground for illnesses once the cold weather arrives. This is due to high transmission rates in communal settings like residence buildings and classrooms. 

There are many ways to get vaccinated, but here are the most convenient for students:

Get vaccinated at a pharmacy

You can schedule a vaccination appointment at a local pharmacy, including Shoppers Drug Mart and Rexall, which are found all over Ottawa.

When booking an appointment, you should have your health card number ready to present. International students or others who may not have an Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) can still get vaccinated.

The majority of pharmacies will vaccinate those without OHIP, but students should confirm by calling ahead of time.

Check the Ottawa Public Health and provincial website

COVID and flu shots are also available via Ottawa Public Health. This may be less convenient for students since you cannot choose the location. However, the booking process is very simple. Register for seasonal vaccinations here

Get vaccinated on campus

On Nov. 5 and 6 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in room 205 of the University Centre undergraduate and graduate students can get their flu vaccines. Bring your student card, health card, and short sleeves!

Get vaccinated and stay healthy!

• Sydney is a fourth year student in Human Rights and Conflict studies who has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is honoured to be managing editor this year, and make the Fulcrum a happy place for many more students.