Image: Getty/provided.

FREE PALESTINE!

Boycotting, the act of refusing to buy or engage in commercial relations to protest something, is a very relevant topic around the world. The reason? The genocide that’s happening in Palestine at this very moment. 

Thousands are protesting mainstream brands, including myself, to limit the money going to the Israeli government, which is then used for war crimes and killings of innocent Palestinians daily. 

Palestine is an occupied country by Israel and the genocide of its people has been an ongoing battle for the past 75 years. Millions have already passed away, dying as martyrs; many others are injured. Bombings of hospitals, houses, kids, the elderly and schools in the Gaza Strip is a normal thing for Palestinians, which should not be the case. These bombings are done by the Israeli government, but they get help from Western brands that we all love. 

I have decided to boycott the following brands until they stop supporting genocide and the erasure of an entire nation. Some examples are: McDonald’s, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Burger King, Subway, Coca-Cola, and Nestle.

Supporting these brands, buying their products, means supporting the killing of innocent civilians. There are people suffering so it is absolutely crucial for each one of us to do our part. That starts with a small action, such as boycotting brands that support Israel. 

Deciding to boycott and sticking to it can be difficult as a university student since all these fast-food chains are on or near campus. It is possible that convenience might win over our conscience when we are in a rush to get to class. 

For this reason, here are two alternatives, that are just as convenient (and delicious)

1. Experiment with new recipes. Homemade is always better! 
  2. Buy local (PIVIK, Figaro Coffee House, Happy Goat Coffee, 3 Brothers Shawarma and Poutine, Oka’s, etc…) All these stores can be found near campus.

Boycotting is an effective method of protest, to get to a common goal. My goal, and hopefully everyone reading this, is to help lessen the Palestinians’ pain just by doing little by little every single day. If Palestinians can be strong through such a big war, it is very easy to avoid certain things for the better of humanity, to avoid killings of innocent people. 

Signing petitions, demanding ceasefires, educating others on the matter, and protesting are all amazing ways you can make a difference.

Always and forever,
Free Palestine