Humour

“Why not eh”

Jesse Colautti | Fulcrum Staff

THE UNIVERSITY OF Ottawa is planning on unveiling its new motto, “Why not, eh?” later this week at an elaborate ceremony in front of Tabaret Hall. This location was chosen primarily because of its key function as the only photogenic structure at the university, as well as it being the only open space still available at the over-congested campus.

University president Ellen Stone is excited about the change.

“‘It Starts Here’ just didn’t seem to fit anymore,” said Stone.

“We’re putting out a bold statement to the academic community that at this point we’re willing to try just about anything. It reflects the attitude I try to instill in our students, and my own children for that matter, each and every day: hitting rock bottom means things can only get better.”

Stone also pointed out that the announcement was about more than just empty words.

“This new motto comes along with broad changes to our school that will reflect this strategy. We’re going to make these words tangible everywhere on campus. A great example of this is in Food Services. All cafeterias will be immediately closed down in favour of an impromptu potluck service. Consistently having low-rated food services really meant that the sky was the limit. So, when my nine-year-old son suggested that everyone just bring in what they can from home and share, I thought, ‘Why not, eh?’”

Thomas Wildman, chair of student experience at the university, highlighted how this strategy is being implemented within classrooms as well.

“Instead of investing time and money to put electrical outlets in every classroom in order to appropriately meet the needs of modern students, we thought it’d be easier to implement a new rule outlawing laptops,” he said.

“This new rule applies to all libraries on campus as well. We want to exclusively feature outdated technology that reflects the architecture of our school.”

Elizabeth Draper, a third-year history major, is excited about the changes being implemented to address the lack of study space on campus.

“I think creating gender-exclusive study days at Morisset Library is a fantastic idea. Knowing that on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I’ll only have to compete with half as many people for seats is just an intuitive solution to a problem that has plagued the campus for years.”

The new motto has inspired another change in the language of the university. All varsity sports teams will no longer go by the name Gee-Gees, but instead be called the U of O participants. Greg Brady, assistant coach of the men’s football team, believes this change can only be for the better.

“It just lowers unrealistic expectations for everyone. It’s no secret we haven’t been the first out of the gate in a few decades now and it’s time we implemented a name that reflected that performance,” he said.

“At the end of the day, it’s not the winning teams you remember or that big first-place trophy you cherish,” said Brady.

“Remember those participant ribbons you got when you played house-league soccer as a kid. That’s why those ribbons will now be the inspiration for our logo.”

While it remains to be seen whether the motto and its accompanying structural changes will be successful, the prime minister is already applauding the university’s new mantra.

“It is an incredibly brave and powerful idea of the University of Ottawa to make this change at a time when so many other universities are settling for predictable solutions, such as improving the quality of food and services on campus or investing more money in their sports teams to field a competitive product,” he said.

“The philosophy behind ‘Why not, eh?’ was key to my recent decision to rewrite the War of 1812 as a Canadian military triumph and to rename the Museum of Civilization as the Museum of Canadian History. Sometimes it is best to not overthink solutions to difficult problems.”