Science & Tech

Bioconnect Club logo
Photo: bioconnect logo Jessie Pearce/Provided

A REASON TO LEAVE THE STUDY CAVE

Are you currently in a demanding STEM degree and wish you had more time to make friends? Or maybe you have a real passion for science and have no one to share your feelings with? If either of those relate to you– stop being alone and check out the University of Ottawa’s BioConnect Student Club! An amazing on-campus club that gives you a reason to connect with more than a textbook.

“With BioConnect, we create some fun social activities where people can meet each other and create this network of science peers, where they can all rely upon each other in their classes and also outside of classes for fun.” said Jessie Pearce, co-vice president of BioConnect.

But what are these activities?

The team at BioConnect have worked with professors and professionals alike to produce engaging, original ideas such as their popular bacterial painting activity. “Why paint with colors when you can paint with bacteria?” said co-vice president Amélie Mainville. 

Provided
Image: Agar plates from bacterial paint night Jessie Pearce/Provided.

This event gave 150 students agar gel plates and three strains of non-pathogenic E.coli that were genetically engineered to fluoresce with red, blue, and yellow colored proteins. Students were free to streak the gel with their bacteria to create whatever design came to mind. Overnight their works of art were incubated allowing the bacteria to grow and glow, everyone received pictures of their finished plates. 

Another activity is called “Coco and Cram” and it occurs towards the end of every semester, close to final exams. The team gathers a bunch of hot chocolate and pizza and invites students to come over to eat and study together in Marion Basement. 

“You’re surrounded by people who are probably studying some of the same things that you are,” explained Pearce. This is just another simple and effective way of feeling like you are part of a scientific community.

This club takes it a step further for students by also hosting events outside of campus such as board game nights at Level One game pub, and even tours in the Nature Museum for the adventurous types.  

BioConnect is dedicated to making this a student-oriented experience by ensuring that all of their events are either free or priced as low as possible (often under $10) just enough to break even on event expenses. This club has no general meetings and absolutely no BS (bad science), only amazing events around campus that anyone can join! 

If you’re interested and want to stay up-to-date on upcoming activities you can follow their Instagram