Gees fall to Stingers in shootout

Maclaine Chadwick | Fulcrum Staff

THE GEE-GEES WOMEN’S hockey team suffered a 3-2 shootout loss to the Concordia Stingers at home on Oct. 27, marking their fifth consecutive loss of the season.

The Gees didn’t fall easily in the shootout—it took Concordia nine attempts before left-winger Veronique Laramee-Paquette got a shot past Gees goaltender Cassie Seguin.

It took nearly the entire first two periods for either team to get a shot in the net, but it was Jaymee Shell of the Stingers who got the first goal of the game at the end of the second period, followed by a second Stingers goal scored by Emilie Bocchia halfway through the third.

Despite doubling the Stingers in shots on net—the Gees had 46 shots and the Stingers only had 23—the Gees were unable to score a goal until Dominique Lefebvre, a fourth-year forward, put one in midway through the third period. Gee-Gee Fannie Desforges then tied up the game at the end of the third period, leading to five scoreless minutes of overtime play and the fateful shootout.

Despite the loss, the game gives the Gee-Gees their first point of the season. Head coach Yanick Evola says that the team is working hard and looking forward to getting more points.

“We still have a young team of first- and second-year players,” said Evola.  “So you’ve got to remain patient. As a team we are working as a unit, and we are progressing day after day, week after week.”

With their next game a rematch against hockey powerhouses the McGill University Martlets, the Gee-Gees are looking to improve two specific areas of their game: scoring goals and being disciplined.

“We’ve got to make sure we are ready to bury those rebounds; that’s what we’ve got to get better at,” explained Evola.

“Two weeks ago we took too many penalties,” said Evola. “We know that McGill is regularly a strong, strong team, so we got to be sure we remain disciplined and stay [playing] five on five. We can’t give them those power play chances.”

Students can catch the women’s hockey game against McGill on Saturday, Nov. 3 at 2 p.m. at the Minto Sports Complex.