GeeGee women's soccer team on the field.
The Gees will face Carleton twice this weekend. Image: Bardia Boomer/Fulcrum.

GEE-GEES SCORE TEN ON THEIR ROAD TRIP

This past weekend the Gee-Gees went on a road trip to play Ontario Tech and Trent University. The match against Ontario Tech was sheer domination from the Gees. 

The Gee-Gees peppered Ontario Tech with 17 shots throughout the match. With an astounding eleven corners for the Gees, it was not a matter of if they would score, but rather when. 

The answer was early and often. 

The Gees would run riot as they beat Ontario Tech 6-0. Olivia Allen was very much up for the match as she scored a hat trick. Cassandra Provost, Nibo Dlamini and Ella Chase all chipped in with a goal per piece.

Then the Gees went on to face Trent University the day after to complete their back-to-back.

The Gee-Gees found the breakthrough early in minute three when Cassandra Provost struck the ball from just inside the box after 11 drove forward and slipped her through. 

Trent would answer back a quarter of an hour later when keeper Cassidy Joslin got her pocket picked by Natalie Coscarella. Then, the ball fell to Molly Steele, who curled it in over Joslin, who was caught off her line, drawing the game level.

The Gees would pull ahead ten minutes before the end of the half after Soumaya Bouak beat her defender on the wing and then cut it back to Provost, who played it across the six-yard area to Ella Chase, who then slotted it home.

A first half that was dominated by the Gee-Gees would come to a close at 2-1, though it could have been a more comfortable lead if not for a small blip.

The team would come out of halftime firing as they found an early breakthrough only three minutes after the halftime stoppage. A scramble ensued from a freekick that was not dealt with by Trent, which concluded with Provost slotting in a left-footed strike into the net with a slight deflection.

Not long after, Trinity Esprit was played in behind the Excalibur’s defence, and then she squared the ball across the turf to Provost for a tap-in, bringing the lead to 4-1 on the day.

That would be how it ended after a rainy affair in Peterborough, marking a near-perfect road trip. The U of O scored ten in total on the weekend and only conceded one goal en route to their two wins.

The six points received for the two wins put the University of Ottawa second in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division, narrowly behind the University of Toronto, and above Queens and Carleton.

The Gee-Gees will have two games this week against Carleton, with the first being a home game on Thursday, September 29 at Matt Anthony Field at 7 p.m. The following match will be down the road at TAAG park, where the Ravens will be the home team on Sunday, October 2 at 1 p.m.