Image: Kai Holub/Fulcrum

From ringette, to rowing, to squash, lacrosse, and everything in between.

Feeling sad your competitive sports days are behind you? Bummed you have to hang up the cleats? Worrying about falling out of shape? I have a solution for you. The U of O boasts numerous competitive club sports ranging from ringette, to rowing, to squash, lacrosse, and everything in between. 

The teams play in various divisions, with most competing in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA). The teams gather for a banquet at the end of each season, where awards are presented to each club’s most valuable player, and the coveted Athlete of the Year is handed out.

To help you out, I have compiled a description and preview of each team and listed the tryout dates. 

Women’s Lacrosse
The women’s lacrosse team is shaking the dust off and returning to the field in 2023-24. Interested players are encouraged to contact [email protected]. The first practice of the year will take place September 8.

Men’s Lacrosse

Last season, current sophomore defenceman and reigning MVP Ben Kromer took home a CUFLA All-Canadian Honourable Mention.

The Gees kick off the year in Peterborough with a game against Trent on September 9. Find the full schedule here.

Although tryouts have already occurred, anyone interested should contact the team’s coaching staff at [email protected] or by phone at 344-551-2622.

Nordiq Skiing

Last year, athletes from the team had phenomenal success: four athletes excelled at the FISU World University Games in Lake Placid, which was highlighted by Shilo Rousseau’s triple-podium-performance in the biathlon events boasting two gold medals.

Nationally, athletes achieved many podium finishes and top 10 rankings, with representation at the Canada Winter Games across four provinces. Three athletes earned uOttawa Gee-Gees Awards: Club Athlete of the Year (Aidan Kirkham and Shilo Rousseau), and the Merit Award (Zoe Pekos), and two athletes (Shilo Rousseau and Emma Archibald) were nominated to Canadian National teams.

The Nordiq team is looking to build on last year’s success with many returning athletes and a large roster of over 30 athletes. If you are a cross-country skier who’s interested in joining the team, get in touch with them at [email protected]. More information can be found here.

Alpine

The U of O proudly boasts the only alpine university ski team in Ontario! The team competes from January to March, primarily at Camp Fortune Ski Club. The competition schedule consists of 4-5 weekends through Quebec, plus a local race.

Contact [email protected] for more information.

Women’s Softball

The team has seven home doubleheaders this upcoming season at Carp Fairgrounds. The team includes the reigning Top Batter of the OUS East, Amber Weese. Amber tied for the highest batting average (.500) in the East Division of the OUS for the 2022 regular season.

The team is hosting tryouts this weekend. They will take place Sept. 3 and 4 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Sandy Hill Arena. These are open tryouts, but potential players do need to register with the team before showing up. Email [email protected] for more information.

Men’s Baseball

Second-year ace Max Zentil takes the bump for the Gees as they start their season Sept. 2 at Concordia. Their home opener is Sept. 13 against Carleton at Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton Park in Vanier. Find the full schedule here.

Men’s Volleyball

In a typical year, the team will play in 4-5 tournaments, usually starting in late September.

The team is hosting tryouts on Sept. 7 and 8 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Montpetit Gym. Please email [email protected] for more information.

Women’s Ringette

The team earned a bronze medal at the Ringette Ontario Provincial Championships in Waterloo last season. They compete both locally and in multiple tournaments each year.

Team Captain Mariève Vandervoort is excited about the upcoming season, and had this to say about it:

“This will be uOttawa Gee-Gees Ringette’s top season yet. We have more players trying out than ever, with the capacity to train a full playing roster and a full practice roster. We have a high number of returning players, with the best ice conditions and training slots we’ve ever had. A big thanks to Sue Hylland (Director of Sports Services) for ensuring women’s sports finally get the space they deserve. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram to find out when you can come watch us play and get to know us. We will make the Gee-Gees proud.”

A team meeting is the precursor to training camp, and will take place Sept. 8, at 6:30 p.m., with a location to be announced. Find more information about the team and the full training camp schedule here.
Golf

The OUA Golf Championships will be held in Waterloo, Oct. 13 – 15. The U of O hosted last year’s edition, which took place at Hylands Golf Club located just south of the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport. Gee-Gee Zach Car finished T-8 at last year’s championship, shooting +7 over two rounds.

Rowing

The Gees will open the year with a regatta against Carleton, Sept. 9 at 10 a.m. The races will take place between the Pretoria Bridge, and Dow’s Lake Pavilion. The side with the fastest collective time (men’s and women’s) will take home the coveted P.D. Ross Trophy.

Badminton

Last year, the Gee-Gees finished sixth at the University and College Nationals team event, while also finishing sixth at the OUA championships.

Tryouts will take place at Montpetit Hall on Sept. 6 and Sept. 11. See here or email [email protected] for more information.

Fencing

Last year, Sacha Vasilev took home the bronze medal for Men’s Foil at the OUA Championships.

All skill levels are welcome for this team, which competes in around five tournaments a year. Contact [email protected] for more information.

Artistic Swimming

Tryouts will take place Sept. 10, at the Montpetit Pool. A pool session will follow the information meeting. To sign up, register here. All skill levels are welcome.

Track and Field

Walk-ons are encouraged to contact Richard Johnston or register here. The U of O will compete under the Ottawa Lions banner for the 16th season. During this time, Gee-Gees have won an impressive 22 national championships, and hold 2 CIS records. Last year, Thomas Sénéchal-Becker took home gold at the USPORTS National Championships in Saskatoon in the high jump.

Squash

The 2022-23 season was the first year for the club as an official team in the OUA. Email [email protected] for more information.

Women’s Water Polo

The team will be hosting an information session at CRX 308, on Sept. 13 at 6:30pm. All skill levels are welcome, including strong swimmers with no prior water polo experience. The team competes in 3-5 tournaments a year, and also faces off against an alumni team. Email [email protected] for more information.

Men’s Water Polo

A typical season will see competition in 4 to 5 tournaments, the National Capital Water Polo League (NCWPL) and the OUA Championship in November. The team also regularly has scrimmages with the Ottawa Titans Water Polo Club.

Newcomers are welcome year-round and are encouraged to contact [email protected] for more information.

Equestrian

Applications have closed for the equestrian team, and they are busy preparing for their first show of the year, which will take place at Wesley Clover Park in Nepean on Oct. 1. Please email [email protected] for more information.

Dance

The competitive dance team provides advanced-level dancers a chance to continue competing throughout their university education. The club competes at three competitions throughout the year. Email [email protected] or visit their website for more information.

Women’s Ultimate

Last year, the Gees took home bronze at the USAU’s Metro East Regional Championship in Batavia, New York. In the fall season, the team competes in the Canadian University Series, playing 2-3 tournaments. The season then continues with indoor training until the team travels south to play in the USA during the spring. 

Tryouts took place during the last week of August, but interested players of any experience level are encouraged to contact [email protected].

Men’s Ultimate

The team practices year-round, and participates in multiple tournaments throughout the year, including the Canadian University Ultimate Championship in October.

Tryouts will take place on Sept. 7 and 12. More info can be found here. The season kicks off with the Ontario Qualifier in Burlington, the weekend of September 23.

Cheerleading

The cheer team competes in several competitions throughout the year, as well as performing sideline cheers at events including Panda Game and Capital Hoops.

The team will be hosting tryouts Sept. 9 at Cheer Sport Sharks Ottawa in Kanata, and more information can be found by contacting [email protected].