Pro Sports

car goes zoom
Image: Kai Holub/Fulcrum

It’s time for a 52 Lap blast around one of F1’s most prestigious circuits.

Halfway through the 2024 Formula One campaign, it’s still anyone’s game. Max Verstappen and Red Bull lead the Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championship lead, but the competition is snapping at their heels. 

“Wooah, We’re Halfway There, (Red Bull’s) Living on a Prayer”?

The fight for the Constructors Championship has proven to be the most compelling on-track storyline so far this season. British outfit McLaren is surging, scoring consistent podiums and moving just 64 points behind Red Bull. These strong finishes, combined with struggles from Red Bull’s number two driver Sergio Perez — who has failed to finish well since early podiums in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia — have left the reigning champions in a perilous position down the stretch. 

Meanwhile, Ferrari, also currently in the fight for the championship, has seen its fortune hit a bumpy patch. After a triumphant win in Monaco, they followed up with a disastrous Montreal Grand Prix, with neither car seeing the chequered flag. This was followed by a modest recovery in Austria, with Carlos Sainz finishing on the podium but still outperformed by both McLaren and Mercedes overall. 

That brings us to the Silver Arrows, who, after a slow start to the season, have managed to pick up steam as we get to the midway point. This was highlighted this past week in Austria as George Russell took home his second career victory and first of this season. The German team has cemented its grip on fourth place in the Constructors’ and they will be looking to continue to improve to get back in the fight for top positions.

What Happened to Aston Martin?

The 1983 Matthew Broadrick movie WarGames famously tells watchers, “The only winning move is not to play”. The bosses at AM seem to be taking this advice to heart so far this season, with Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll’s team left a far cry from where they were a year ago. Lead driver Fernando Alonso has not been able to score points at four of the last five races, something he only failed to do three times all last season. Second driver Lance Stroll has been similarly unimpressive, having scored only 17 points through the first 11 races. 

Although they are still comfortably in fifth in the Constructors’ Championship, Aston Martin has a long way to go if they wish to once again be competitive, and it’s not currently clear that they are trending in that direction.

Bearman to Haas

Another seat has been taken off the driver market as it was announced that Oliver Bearman will be joining Haas in 2025. Bearman has already appeared in F1, filling in capably for Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz after the later got appendicitis before the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix earlier this year. The British driver, 19, is currently racing in Formula Two for Prema Racing, scored 6 points in his F1 debut, and is Haas’ first driver confirmed for next year following the departure of Nico Hulkenberg

Look Ahead to Silverstone

This week, F1 is coming to one of the most famous locations on the calendar: Silverstone Circuit. It’s a 5.8-kilometre blast complete with tricky corners, fast straights, and action-packed racing. It has hosted the British Grand Prix every year since 1987, after hosting the inaugural race in 1948. 

This week’s Grand Prix will see four former winners take to the track looking to take home another trophy. Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz have won here in the last two years, while Lewis Hamilton holds the record as an eight-time winner. Finally, Fernando Alonso has taken the win twice, the last time in 2011.

The lights go out on the British Grand Prix at 10:00 AM EST on Sunday, July 7th. Click here for times, news, and standings.