Competitive Clubs

Find out how to join a team during your time at the U of O

Illustration: Reine Tejares

Staying fit on your own during the semester can be a challenge, but luckily there are various sports programs you can be a part of during your time as a student at the University of Ottawa. 

The varsity sports competing in Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) are at one end of the spectrum, as they are highly competitive teams competing for provincial and national championships with funding from the university. Among these are the Gee-Gees women’s soccer team, which was ranked first in the nation last season, men’s basketball team—ranked first or second all year—and the football team.

However, there are many other teams that take part in their own competitive associations. These teams include rowing, women’s fastball, men’s soccer, men’s rugby, water polo, among a long list of others. 

If you missed out on varsity club tryouts, the bad news is that you will have to wait until next year as the majority of the tryouts and registration start mid-August and end during the second week of September. But fear not, there are still some great competitive sports teams with later tryouts and registrations that you can join!

Competitive Club teams

Men’s water polo welcomes new players all year round. The team trains from September to April, typically competing in four to five tournaments in addition to the National Capital Water Polo League (NCWPL), the OUA Championship in November, and a few scrimmage games with the Ottawa Titans Water Polo Club. Team training occurs twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30-10:30 p.m. at the Montpetit Hall pool. 

The women’s water polo team—also free to newcomers—competes in three to five tournaments per year, including the Carleton University Invitational, the ‘Back from the Back’ tournament at McMaster University, and Penn State University’s Behrend College Invitational. Practice occurs three times a week on Monday and Wednesday at 7:30-9:30 p.m. and Friday from 2-4 p.m. at the Montpetit Hall swimming pool. Throughout the team’s history, the roster has included players coming from a variety of backgrounds and skill levels.

The women’s ringette team is also offering a  final set of tryouts, to be held during an Exhibition game against Carleton University on Sunday Sept. 20 at 5:30 p.m. at the Minto Sports Complex. They are in their 12th season, competing in the A division, with three gold medals under their belt from the previous season. Their team holds two practices per week and typically plays one game a week, allowing any student to balance academics and athletics.

Intramurals and Drop-Ins

Intramurals are another popular way to get involved in sports on campus, if you missed the deadline on Sept. 17 be sure to look out for registration for the winter semester.

If joining a team seems too overwhelming or doesn’t fit in your busy schedule, the university also has a lot of drop-in sports students can join that are available at more convenient times without registration.

Check out the Gee-Gees website for contact information on how you can be part of these thriving and competitive teams.