Gee-Gees

hockey
Photo: Tim Austen(left), Greg Kolz(right)/Gee-Gees

The Gee-Gees men’s and women’s hockey will be underway within the next week

‘Oh the good ol’ hockey game, is the best game you can name, and the best game you can name, is the good ol’ hockey game’. ‘Tis the season when the trees lose their leaves and the outdoor rinks open up, Ottawa can’t wait for hockey. 

Yes that’s right, the Gee-Gees hockey season will be underway this week with the first men’s game taking place on Friday against the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks, and the first women’s game on Oct. 11 against the Western Mustangs, catch the games at the Minto Sports Complex. 

With some more exciting outlook, the 63rd edition of the men’s U Sports University Cup is scheduled to be held from March 20–23 at the U of O., The women’s hockey team has officially joined the OUA, and is expected to face more — and better —competition than they have seen in RSEQ in recent years.

Men’s Hockey 

The men’s hockey team is as strong as ever coming off of last season with a record of 20-8, the team looks to make a deeper run in the playoffs as they were knocked out in the second round last year. 

Star goalie Franky Lapenna out of Laval, Q.C. is returning for his second season after being named the OUA East Goaltender of the year, OUA East Rookie of the year, and OUA First Team All-Star last year. Joining Lapenna out of the QMJHL last year and also returning for his second season is forward Luka Verreault. The Rimouski, Q.C. native joined Lapenna on the OUA’s First Team All-Rookie and also played his way onto the OUA East’s Second Team All-Stars. 

Head coach Patrick Grandmaître is gearing up for his ninth season with the team alongside assistant coach Justin Stevens and Ryan Hand. In an interview with Grandmaître, he spoke about the upcoming season and regrouping after last year’s playoffs.

“Building on what we did last year, pushing the championship team of UQTR to a game three. [We were] very upset about losing that game, but a lot of our players thought we were right there. We have a big returning class, a lot of key players coming back, we have a tremendous recruiting class that is going to add to this group. It’s not a normal year as we are hosting the national championships, our roster is at its peak and we’re really looking forward to this season.”

Women’s Hockey

The women’s hockey team is coming off a tough season, with a record of 8-17. But with half of the team being new recruits, perhaps with a fresh roster the team can turn things around this season. This is a new start for the women’s hockey team, they have left the RSEQ league and joined the OUA, a league that brings more competition and a lot more teams to play. 

With further additions of incoming head coach Ali Domenico the team is in good hands. Domenico’s coaching career is nothing short of amazing, she has coached for NCAA D1 teams such as the Providence Friars, Syracuse, and Ohio State. Internationally, she brings experience from being a part of the Canadian Women’s National Team who won gold at the last Olympics, and gold at the 2022 IIHF women’s World Championship. Domenico also talked about the upcoming season, and what she brings to the table.

“Throughout the course of my coaching career, I’ve had the opportunity to have so many different experiences in which have really shaped who I’ve become as a coach. I hope to bring a balance of a deep understanding of the game on the ice along with a commitment to fostering a positive and growth-oriented team culture.

We have so many new players in the program — half of our team, including myself — as well as moving to a new league; with that comes a whole lot of opportunity. We are really focusing on ourselves, focusing on our process and performance more than our outcome and results. We believe if we continue to develop as a team and have strong performances, the results will come.

I believe in empowering our student-athletes, helping them grow and develop as people and hockey players. I want to create a collaborative environment with our student-athletes, so they can really feel a part of the process and the culture we’re trying to create. Lastly, when it comes to on ice play, understanding that we’re going to have highs and lows, successes and failures…but through it all, really ensure there’s a learning aspect to it.”

The men’s team will host the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks on Friday night for their home opener. The women’s team will host the Western Mustangs on Oct. 11. Catch both games at the Minto Sports Complex.