goal meireles
Gee-Gees celebrate after rookie defender Sophia Meireles pots her first goal in her first OUA appearance. Photo: Tim Austen/Gee-Gees

“I feel like this is a good team … Tough to win three times in a row, but the team is certainly capable of doing it.”

OUA women’s soccer has begun, and the Gee-Gees did not disappoint in their first match against the Laurentian Voyageurs on Friday night. The Gee-Gees outclassed their opponents 6-0, with each goal coming from a different scorer. As head coach Steve Johnson enters his 30th season with the program, the team looks to be the first to win three consecutive OUA titles.

1st Half

Cassandra Provost started the scoring parade by pick-pocketing the defence and tucking the ball bottom left (14’). Nibo Dlamini (27’) and Sabrina Mangiaracina (43’) both capitalized on their penalty kicks, and Allana Oriente scored from a stellar run up the left side before curling it into the bottom right corner (32’).

cass provost
Gee-Gees star and 2022 U SPORTS player of the year Cass Provost began her fifth and final OUA season on Friday night, potting a goal just 14 minutes into the match. Photo: Tim Austen/Gee-Gees. @timaustenphotography

“I was surprised because there was nobody in front of me,” said Oriente, a fifth-year Gee. “I’ll take this face, I drove it, and I hit the shot. I was annoyed of not scoring. So, when I scored I was happy.” The Gee-Gees led 4-0 after a dominant first half, showcasing the team’s cohesive play style in possession, and a strong defence which held Laurentian to zero shots on goal.  

2nd Half

The scoring parade continued in the second half with a goal from Élianne Gervais (56’), assisted by Provost. The last goal of the game was an absolute screamer from outside the 18-yard box, hitting the post and in, scored by rookie defender Sophia Meireles (74’). 

Meireles spoke about her debut after the game. “Coming into the first half, I definitely had some jitters. It was my debut as a Gee-Gee, so there were a lot of emotions running through me. But when I scored that goal it allowed me to settle into the game and really enjoy the moment. Scoring in my first game gave me a confidence boost that I can carry for the rest of the season.”

Final

The box score showed evidence of the Gee-Gees dominance, with the Gee-Gees ending with 32 shots to Laurentian’s zero. It was a masterclass of ball movement, possession, and cohesive play style from the Gee-Gees, with credits to the Gee-Gees defensive line holding all game, and to the Laurentian goalkeeper for making 15 saves. The Gee-Gees could have cracked double digits if Hunter Jones didn’t perform like prime Gianluigi Buffon.

Outlook 

As coach Johnson heads into his 30th season with an experienced team and back to back OUA titles, the Gee-Gees ambition to be the first women’s soccer team to win three in a row is set in stone. Coach Johnson says “I feel like this is a good team … tough to win three times in a row, but the team is certainly capable of doing it.” 

Star player Cassandra Provost, two time OUA all star, and 2022 All-Canadian First Team member is back for her fifth season, and is now 10 goals away from setting the Gee-Gees record for most goals in the regular season. The record stands at 58 and is held by Pilar Khoury. Provost said “I’m just gonna try to break it, if I don’t, well it doesn’t matter, but it’s an individual goal for me this year.”

The team has two more home games at Matt Anthony Field before they hit the road again to play Laurentian and Nipissing. They will host Trent on Friday, and OUA silver medalist Queens on Sunday, a matchup that students must attend. Get your tickets here!