cass provost celebrates after scoring
Greg Kolz/Gee-Gees

Gee-Gees defeat TMU Bold 4-0 and Ontario Tech Ridgebacks 8-0 to complete homestand undefeated.

Oct.14-15 —The Gee-Gees women’s soccer team battled with the Toronto Metropolitan University Bold and the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks in a doubleheader weekend at Matt Anthony Field. The weekend was the final two home games the Gee-Gees team will play before the regular season is over. They ended their homestand in style with another pair of shutouts.

On Oct. 14, the team played against Ontario Tech and crushed them 4-0. The team had a fiery start to the match, scoring three goals in the first half and ending the game with one goal in the second half. 

Superstar forward Cassandra Provost had a phenomenal weekend, kicking it off by getting two goals on three shots. Defender Maya Smith and forward Nibo Dlamini each got a goal to contribute to the score, with forward Allana Oriente assisting each goal. With strong defence and goalkeeping, Ontario Tech was unable to even register a shot on net as a result. The dominant performance continued on to Sunday’s match.

On Oct. 15, the team played against the TMU Bold on their home field for the last time this season. The team had  a ruthless performance against TMU, leading them to a 7-0 win.

The match started off stellar as they scored four goals in the first half, and then ended with another three goals in the second half.

Provost had one of her best performances yet, putting up four goals on eight shots. With her combined six goals this weekend, Provost broke the school record for most goals in a regular season with 22. The record was previously held, in fact, by her the previous season with 18. Oriente had two goals, and forward Sabrina Mangiaracina got a goal.

Dlamini got herself two assists, with forwards Florence Laroche and Jenna Matsukubo each getting an assist. Once again, the team effort on defence was so consistent that TMU did not register a single shot on goal. 

The team’s record now stands at 9-0-1, and they will finish off the season next weekend. The team’s final games will take place against the Nipissing Lakers at noon on Saturday, Oct. 21 and the Laurentian Voyageurs at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 22.